View Single Post
TubbaBlubba
Jun13-10, 01:38 PM
P: 111

Studies on muscular strength in individuals with EDS?

Oh, I've been to a doctor who diagnosed it beyond a shadow of a doubt. The only typical thing I lack is the velvety skin. The problem is that when you ask for actual physical habilitation in Sweden, you're generally directed to a woman in her sixties tossing a ball at you. The only actual therapy I was offered was horse riding which was okay for a while, but I only got half a year of sessions, and riding with retarded people just isn't that funny. I've been given the general advice that strength training is good if I can manage it, however.

Thanks for the info, anyway. For now I think I'll stick to 5~10-rep programs in order to build up at least reasonable muscle mass; it's getting to the point where my lack of strength is obstructive, and in particular I feel I need to improve my core and back musculature in order to maintain a decent posture.

Right now the core of my training program is actually 60 minutes of cardiovascular training a day on a crosstrainer - The one form of cardio that doesn't make my feet, hips or knees scream in agony. It's also a good way to lose some body fat.

I'm not going to hit the huge amount of weights that present significant joint stress in a good time, so I'll have a good while to actually think about it.

Proton: I'm not actually doing a bench press, but a floor press. It's much easier on the shoulders. As for hand calluses, I happen to like them. A glove generally gives worse grip, anyway. Thanks for the links, by the way, some useful information (Though I'm not exactly sure what they mean by quantitative muscle function in the following: Quantitative muscle function proved severely reduced despite normal findings on electromyography and muscle biopsy. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17588758 If I understand it correctly, it seems that there's an implication that muscle function is reduced not only as a result of disuse or tendon elasticity, but also functionaly. Interesting.)

I believe that the DON'T TRAIN WITH WEIGHTS AT ALL notion is a bit too conservative. To stabilize your joints, you need adequate musculature. To build adequate musculature, you need resistance.