View Single Post
JDoolin
Sep12-10, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 706
I don't want to lose the main question of my original post.

So far, no-one has given me an answer to the questions of my original post. I hoped I could find someone who knew how to obtain the following data about the supernovae .

a) right ascension
b) declination
c) luminosity distance
d) redshift

But meanwhile...

Quote Quote by Chalnoth View Post
Unless you can present a model that has at least as much predictive power as the current cosmology, nobody is going to care.
I disagree. The standard model cosmology does not have that good of a track record. One need only skim through an article about dark energy to see that it introduces more questions than it answers.

For instance

'The existence of dark energy, in whatever form, is needed to reconcile the measured geometry of space with the total amount of matter in the universe.'

"A major outstanding problem is that most quantum field theories predict a huge cosmological constant from the energy of the quantum vacuum, more than 100 orders of magnitude too large. This would need to be cancelled almost, but not exactly, by an equally large term of the opposite sign"
I can't claim to understand these problems exactly. However, they simply don't arise in the Milne model.

For instance, in the Milne model, inflation arises very naturally from acceleration. You take a sphere expanding at the speed of light, and perform a Lorentz Transformation around any event after the Big Bang.

All you need is collisions or explosions to get the necessary Delta V.

If you accelerate toward the center, it will expand the universe. If Milne was correct, and all particles are attracted to the center, then this phenomenon would go on forever, accelerating toward a receding center would make inflation continue forever.