View Single Post
mheslep
Nov3-10, 09:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,104
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Um the Chinese government is involved in the building of those reactors in China,
Yes of course, but the point is the government there apparently does not act to drive up the cost, relatively speaking.
and they are flush with cash.
What does this have to do keeping plant cost down?

In the US, we have public utilities or mechant power producers who have to go to the capital markets. The reason for the government loan guarantees is that the utilities could not get financing from the financial markets.
That's curious. Do you have a source for that? I would think the case more likely is that the utility could get financing, but just not at a rate acceptable to them.

[...]The Chinese government can also accept less stingent safety standards since they are will to accept the loss of life that would be unacceptable in the US (unless one lives in New Orleans ).
I agree, and I support a higher safety standard. However I'm far from convinced that standards and regulatory environments imposed by the US bureaucracy are all supportable on the basis of safety, versus bureaucratic inertia.

And the Chinese people cannot sue the government or companies they way its done in the US.
Again because of the legal system imposed by the US government in the last ~century or so.