tiny-tim
Dec1-10, 04:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,151
Hi TrickyDicky!
Quote Quote by TrickyDicky View Post
This could be confusing for newcomers, the fact that the gauge bosons come in real and virtual versions, for instance the W boson is defined in the wikipedia as the particle that as well as the Z boson mediaes the weak force, so the doubt arises as to wether is referring to the virtual W or the real boson W
Wikipedia is not reliable on this topic (see post 13 above). Stop reading it!
and when it describes its basic properties it states that "in practice it can be considered to be a virtual particle".
I think wikipedia means that in practice we can't produce real W and Z hmm that's not really true either.
So I would like to ask the experts which are the force mediators the virtual gauge bosons or the "real" ones because often it's not very clearly defined.
Always virtual.
In case the mediators are virtual bosons, what is the role of the real particles? In the case of the photons it's obvious they are the EM radiation , but what about the W and Z particles? ( I believe the gluon hasn't been found yet)
Real W and Z buzz around colliding with things just as real photons do this has nothing to do with the maths of virtual particles "mediating" an interaction.