View Single Post
Andrew Mason
Sep28-04, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,677
Quote Quote by humanino
Even within classical mechanics, this does not imply failure of the EM. Right the 1/r potential of the proton fails, but why would it be so for the point-like constituants ? From far away the proton looks like a point, and when you get near, you can see it is a ball, and if you get near enough, you can actually see the sub-structure. Everything in accordance with EM, or its quantum version necessary to describe the scattering process. But still, it is EM.
I am not the first to suggest that classical EM theory breaks down at the atomic level (eg. Planck's solution to the ultra-violet catastrophe).

We know that the proton, as with all elementary particles, can be expressed as a wave function. This suggests that when we get down to the regions of the 'surface' of the proton, things get fuzzy.

Within that fuzzy region, we cannot assume that electro-magnetic forces follow classical laws. Since the entire nucleus appears to be within the 'fuzzy region' and since the 'evidence' of the strong force seems to be an inference based on the assumption that enormous EM repulsion exists within the nucleus, I am questioning whether the strong force is real.

So I just ask the question: what evidence do we have for the strong nuclear force that is independent of any assumption that strong EM repulsion forces operate between protons within the nucleus? I am not suggesting it doesn't exist. I am just not aware of it.

Andrew Mason