View Single Post
russ_watters
Apr29-11, 09:29 PM
Mentor
P: 22,001
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Lol. I JUST bought an LXD-75 myself about 2-3 weeks ago..maybe I'll discover something too. If only I can get my DSI 2 to work correctly....sigh.
Most of my photos were taken with a DSI-2 (monochrome). And the LXD-75 came in second in the bidding for me...

There's a learning curve to astrophotography, but once you get the hang of it (note: you'll never stop learning, though), you'll be amazing yourself on a regular basis, I promise.

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I don't know if it is the dsi2 itself or just how I'm using it. I've been trying to get a simple picture of saturn for 2 nights now, and I can't. Its way too bright, looks like a splotch with 2 bulges, and has zero detail at all. But I can take out the camera and put in an eyepiece and immediately see the rings and start to see bands in the atmosphere.
The two sliders at middle-left, under the histogram are on auto by default and that'll destroy most of your images. You need to move the upper one to the right to get it to display correctly....

....though when you take pictures, you should be using FITS format (for a DSI monochrome) or BMP (for a color) and for FITS at least, it ignores the histogram data and gives you the full brightness range.

Also, Saturn is pretty dim, particularly at high magnification, so you're probably going the wrong way with your exposures. At prime focus, you should probably be between 0.01 and 0.1 seconds. If you're Barlowed, you should probably be at 0.05 to 0.25 seconds - I wouldn't go higher than 0.25, because atmospheric distortion becomes a big issue.

Once you get the hang of that, I have a Registax processing tutorial on my website that'll help you turn that fuzzy little string of bmp's into a spectacular photo of Saturn [/shamelessplug]