Apr30-11, 09:35 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
Quote Quote by Bob Kutz View Post
Has anyone else noticed that if you replace i with (insert whatever imaginary meme you chose here), the equation works just the same;

Try smurf for example; e^(smurf*Pi) = -1

Or Pterodactyl; e^(Pt*Pi) = -1

As long as e^((Really Imaginary Constant)*Pi) = cos (Pi) + RIC sin (Pi), then e^((whatever you want to put here) * Pi) = - 1 because the sine of Pi is Zero.

I don't mean to poke fun at 'our little jewel', but I cannot help ponder the implications of this alarming corollary. Am I missing something? Could it be that e^(unicorn*pi) = -1?

Doesn't that seem inherently wrong and evil? What happened to the unicorn? Did the Pi EAT THE UNICORN?

This concept seems to belie a complete lack of meaning for Euler's, but I don't seem to be able to prove it wrong.

In case you're wondering, it works with theta too, if you just change out your y-axis label for your imaginary friend of choice.

Just a random thought from someone who's knowledge of math occasionally plays hell with their sanity. I think I hear Nietzsche calling my name, perhaps I should go now.
The only sense I can make of this is that if you replace "i" with a different symbol meaning the same thing the equation is still true. Well that's true of any statement and any symbol! I can't imagine why anyone would think such a thing is worthy of saying.