View Single Post
unusualname
Jun11-11, 04:28 PM
P: 661
Quote Quote by Joncon View Post
unusualname, how does probability explain the interference patterns in this version of the experiment? http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047

The thing I don't understand is that the D1 and D2 detectors both show interference fringes and anti-fringes when the sub-samples are examined. What I don't get is that the idler photons encounter a beam splitter before going to either of the detectors. As I understand it, the chance of passing through this BS or reflecting off it is 50/50. So I would expect no interference patterns in these sub-samples.

To put it another way - how do idler photons, of signal photons which contribute to an interference pattern, always end up at the same detector?
Hi Joncon,

I don't want to analyse every type of experiment, but San K accidentially gave the correct answer above, if the experiment is static, then the probabilities are fixed once one side of the entangled pair is measured. Of course this requires non-locality/non-separablity if one arm of the entangled pair is longer than the other.