View Single Post
Ryan_m_b
Jun20-11, 04:07 AM
Mentor
P: 5,473
Quote Quote by Nikitin View Post
The soil would, obviously, be made fertile after primitive life have been introduced! I really don't see the exact issue here. Sure, the soil isn't perfect and there are many factors playing in, but that doesn't make anything impossible, or even improbable. What exactly is making it impossible? The fundamental elements are there, with nitrates in supply, acidity not a problem and the soil containing various salts (minerals).
I'm beginning to feel like you are ignoring me here. Have you not read everything that has been said about the complexity of ecologies? You cannot simply state "primitive life" and wish-away the necessities of turning a barren wasteland of potentially toxic soil (thanks to different chemical composition and concentrations).

It's definitely not in the pipeline for us to grow an environment! What you need to understand Nikitin is that ecologies are not modular. You cannot just pick out little bits of them like components from a machine.

You speak of using "rapidly oxygenating plants" and "primitive bacteria" but these things need very precise environmental conditions (see post 5) and other organisms to survive. We may want to use Plant A but to get that to grow we will need Plant B and Bacteria Z, Plant B may need Plant C and Animal A, Bacteria Z may need Animal B and C...

I think you would benefit from going away and perhaps buying some books on ecology or biology. Systems like this are extremely complex and we are not nearly at the point of building one. If we were then we could be on our way to colonising the Atacama, the Gobi, Sahara etc as well as easily maintaining any habitat destruction we are experiencing on Earth.