View Single Post
Whateverworks
Jun22-11, 07:57 AM
P: 17
Quote Quote by marcus View Post
WeW, you should say "incontrovertible" for undeniable, something you cannot argue against.
I hope you practice your English with us. Your ideas are good. You just need more practice---then you will be indistinguishable from a native English-speaker.

Also the words "to" and "too" are different. They sound the same but mean different things.

"to" forms the infinitive and also expresses motion towards. I go to school. I want to learn.

"too" expresses the idea of "in addition" "more of the same added on" and sometimes "excess" (like "too much" is more than you need or want).
I will practice English and quite frankly' I did not know the difference between "to" and "too" so thank you for clearing that out.

Quote Quote by marcus View Post
WeW why don't you ask two separate questions both restricted to LIFE IN OUR GALAXY? Restricting the question just to our galaxy makes it more practical to address.

A. is there some other life in our milkyway galaxy?

B. is there some other life in our galaxy that builds radios?

It is more practical to address questions like this, because we know how many stars, we know what they are like (numbers of different types of stars) we have a sample of planetary systems. We have rough estimates of planets with liquid water etc etc. IN OUR GALAXY limits the numbers so you are more able to calculate probabilities.

It is also more practical because there are more real decisions to make based on the information, if it becomes available.

Life in a distant galaxy 100 million lightyears away we don't have to take seriously. Sure there might be. But we could never hold a radio conversation, or send a robot visitor to them. It is an abstract question whether there is some radio-able life in a distant galaxy.
Probably there is, but so what? The information has no practical consequences and is not very easy to test.
I totally agree with you Marcus. The question about life in our galaxy or a nearby galaxy would definitely be the most relevant question to impose given that the data we have on those galaxy's is of course more reliable than galaxy's we have little or no data off.

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I mostly agree. When you look at the simply enormous scale of the universe it seems almost silly that there isn't any other life out there.
I of course agree with you Drakkith.

Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
More to the point, it is not merely unknown, it is virtually unknowable. You might as well go looking for God.
Yes there could be anything, something or nothing we simply do not know and probably we'll never figure it out. So all that's left is "empty" guessing.

/WeW/