View Single Post
bcrowell
Jun24-11, 09:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,578
Quote Quote by Lino View Post
One question, if I may; when the Gravity Prode B conducted it's experiment, it involved (approx) a year of observation as Earth rotated around the sun, would any equivilant test at a galactic or universal scale also require an (approx) 100% rotation before realistic results could be obtained? (If my reading on the subject will get to the answer to this, then please feel free to ignore the question.)
The FAQ describes two types of tests. One is a test where you basically use the solar system as a gyroscope. In this type, I think the answer to your question is that we do want to use observations of the solar system over the longest possible time, in order to see a cumulative effect that is as big as possible, but the longest possible time is only 100 years or so. In both cases (GPB and solar system), what's working in your favor is that the effect is cumulative, so you want the longest possible period of observation.

The other type of test described in the FAQ is CMB tests, which are completely different.