View Single Post
Willowz
Sep7-11, 01:04 AM
P: 256
I think it would extremely hard to draw out axioms in science. Or I am misinformed.

I mean you can call something an axiom in a given field. But, then you would have to outline where this axioms starts failing. Or else you would have to give all encompassing axioms. Sorts of theories of everything. Axioms are self evident by definition. But, scientific theories aren't apparent by definition.

Here are scientific postulates that I have so far found.

Sixteen Postulates of Science

1. Science is logical (utilizing the appropriate form of logic), reasonable, and rational.

2. Science makes well-defined claims based upon the best available evidence.

3. Scientific hypothesis must be falsifable.

4. Scientific experiments should be repeatable under similar circumstances.

5. Science requires that claims be examined by qualified peers.

6. Science views unexplained gaps in theories or evidence with suspicion.

7. Science requires caution both in performing experiments, and in examining and evaluating evidence.

8. Science requires efforts at objectivity, both in control of variables and of biases.

9. Science does not accept coincidence or unlinked or unproven correlations as proofs.

10. Science does not accept undocumented anecdotal evidence as good proof by itself.

11. Science demands extraordinarily good evidence for extraordinary unconventional claims.

12. Scientific favors parsimony: that the simplest adequate explanation is preferred.

13. Science assumes that the Laws of Nature are universal, if relative.

14. Science demands the honest use of the scientific method and truthful reports.

15. Science demands every effort be made to control or assess all variables.

16. Science needs the uninhibited exchange of ideas and greatest possible discourse of the material.
From here.

Note 13.

Axioms have an inherent sense of absolute'ism. Science or scientific theories do not. Deriving axioms from theories seems pointless.