Two fairly simple, but unrelated queries.

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the electrolytic solution can only be produced if its solute is an ionic compound, but there are some exceptions where non-ionic substances can also create a conductive solution. Additionally, when a solute is dissolved in a solvent, it can change phase from solid to liquid. However, this may not be the case for all solute-solvent combinations.
Bashyboy
Hi,

First, I was wondering, can electrolytic solution only be produced if its solute is an ionic compound? And, secondly, on one of my chemistry professors power points, he has written on it, regarding solutes, "changes phase (if different from solvent." Does he mean that it changes phase--the solute--when dissolved in the solvent?

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Solution must be conductive, that means ions must be present. In most cases that means you need to dissolve some ionic substance. However, there are examples of non ionic substances that will do the same. Hydrochloride - as a gas - is not ionic, the bond is covalent, yet upon dissolution it becomes a strong electrolyte.

Bashyboy said:
he has written on it, regarding solutes, "changes phase (if different from solvent." Does he mean that it changes phase--the solute--when dissolved in the solvent?

I am not sure I understand your question - yes, "changes phase" means "changes phase". I bet he means solid is no longer solid after dissolution, but if you mix ionic liquid with water there is no phase change.

1. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation is a statistical measure of how two variables are related to each other, while causation is the relationship between cause and effect. Correlation does not imply causation, meaning that just because two variables are related does not mean that one causes the other.

2. How do you design a controlled experiment?

A controlled experiment is designed by identifying a question or problem, creating a hypothesis, selecting a control group and experimental group, controlling all variables except the one being tested, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, hypothesis testing, experimentation, and analysis of results. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

4. Can a theory be proven?

No, a scientific theory cannot be proven. Theories are supported by strong evidence and have been repeatedly tested and confirmed through experiments and observations, but they can always be revised or replaced if new evidence is found.

5. How does peer review work in the scientific community?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a particular field evaluate and critique research articles before they are published in a scientific journal. This helps to ensure that the research is of high quality and meets the standards of the scientific community. Peer review also allows for constructive feedback and suggestions for improvement.