What is Silverlight & How to Use it with Win 7

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
In summary, Windows 7 comes with a pre-installed package called Silverlight, which is Microsoft's attempt at Flash. Silverlight allows users to run websites developed with it, but end users do not actually use it. To develop websites with Silverlight, one would need training and an integrated development environment such as Visual Studio. Keeping Silverlight up-to-date is not a major concern, as updates are available through Windows Update. Its purpose is to provide a plugin for running programs, similar to Java RTE.
mathman
Science Advisor
I recently got windows 7 operating system. Included is a package called silverlight. What is it for and how does one use it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Microsoft's attempt at Flash.
What is Flash?

Based on the references, I doubt if I could use either without a training program.

mathman said:
Based on the references, I doubt if I could use either without a training program.

Most likely the package you are asked to install is a plugin to be able to run programs rather than develop.

the preinstalled Silverlight is simply the run-time environment. It allows you to use websites developed with silverlight. You don't actually do anything with it really as an end user. Just like the Java RTE, its just in the back and will do its thing when you need it.

If you want to develop websites using silverlight, then you will probably end up in an integrated development environment like Visual Studio which will require training.

I guess I understand the point. So it appears my only concern is to keep Silverlight up-to-date.

mathman said:
I guess I understand the point. So it appears my only concern is to keep Silverlight up-to-date.

There are very few and they are all via Windows Update function. It's not something to loose sleep over, just install it and move on :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
There are very few and they are all via Windows Update function. It's not something to loose sleep over, just install it and move on :)

I never lost any asleep over it. I was just curious as to why it's there.

What is Silverlight?

Silverlight is a web application framework developed by Microsoft that allows for the creation of interactive and multimedia-rich applications. It is a cross-platform and browser-based technology that uses a combination of programming languages such as HTML, JavaScript, and XAML to deliver rich content and applications on the web.

How does Silverlight work?

Silverlight works by using a combination of client-side and server-side technologies. The client-side consists of a browser plug-in that is responsible for rendering the Silverlight content, while the server-side consists of a collection of web services and server-side code that provides the necessary data and functionality for the Silverlight application to run. Together, these components work to deliver an interactive and seamless experience for the user.

Can Silverlight be used with Windows 7?

Yes, Silverlight is compatible with Windows 7 and can be used to create applications that run on this operating system. In fact, Silverlight was initially developed to be used with Windows operating systems, including Windows 7, and is supported by all major web browsers on this platform.

How do I install Silverlight on Windows 7?

To install Silverlight on Windows 7, you can follow these steps:

1. Open your preferred web browser and go to the Silverlight download page.
  2. Click on the "Download Now" button to begin the download process.
  3. Once the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process.
  4. Follow the prompts and instructions provided by the installer to complete the installation.
  5. Once the installation is complete, restart your web browser for the changes to take effect.

What are the benefits of using Silverlight with Windows 7?

Silverlight offers many benefits when used with Windows 7, including:

• Compatibility with all major web browsers on the Windows 7 platform.
  • The ability to create rich and interactive applications with multimedia capabilities.
  • Seamless integration with other Microsoft technologies, such as .NET and Visual Studio.
  • Support for both desktop and mobile devices, making it a versatile platform for developing web applications.