View Single Post
bobc2
Dec22-11, 09:55 AM
P: 848
Quote Quote by PeterDonis View Post
References, please? I'm particularly curious to see in what, if any, contexts the word "spatial" is used to refer to X4 or its equivalent. This discussion is mostly about terminology, so the actual usage of actual physicists is important.
For now, here is one reference: "A World Without Time - The Forgotten Legacy Of Godel and Einstein" (a Discover magazine best seller).

Here is the writeup from the back cover of the book: In 1942, the logician Kurt Godel and Albert Einstein became close friends; they walked to and from their offices every day, exchanging ideas about science, philosophy, politics, and the lost world of German science in which both men had grown up. By 1949, Godel had produced a remarkable proof: In any universe described by the Theory of Relativity, time cannot exist. Einstein endorsed this result reluctantly, but he could find no way refute it, and in the half-century since then, neither has anyone else. Even more remarkable was what happened afterward: nothing. Cosmologists and philosophers alike have proceeded as if this discovery was never made. In "A World Without Time," Palle Yourgrau sets out to restore Godel to his rightful place in history, telling the story of two magnificent minds put on the shelf by the scientific fashions of their day, and attempts to rescue from undeserved obscurity the brilliant work they did together.

I have another reference, a paper written by Godel for inclusion in a book dedicated to Einstein, the one I mentioned earlier edited by Arthur Schilpp. Schilpp mangaged to collect writings from a number of physicists, mathematicians and philosophers, all dedicated to commenting on Einstein's life and work, which formed one volume in Schilpp's series on Living Philosophers. I'll have to dig it out again and locate some pertinent excerpts from which Godel is describing his solutions to Einstein's equations of general relativity in the context of "destroying time."