View Single Post
William Tu
Jan9-12, 06:43 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
It's hard to know what he meant by the things you're saying, because you seem to be confusing two different things. As far as I know, there's nothing about the big bang that corresponds to the weird effects at the event horizon of a black hole. What black holes and the big bang have in common is that timelike curves parametrized by proper time can't be defined beyond a certain value of the parameter. In the case of a black hole, this is true for all world lines that describe particles that have passed the event horizon, and the time where the curves "end" is in the future. In the case of the big bang, it's true for all world lines, and the time where the curves "end" is in the past.
If you would like to, you take take a look at the video here http://youtu.be/A2IOOnAdP2s directly from 32'38". It won't take you too much time. The whole argument starts from "the cause", and I think it probably went wrong in the end. And the main problem to me is that he says time stops. But according to relativity, time doesn't stop but simply looks slow from the outside observer. The clock which falls into the black hole still ticks at its own pace. Time doesn't stop inside the event horizon. But here in this documentary, Dr. Hawking suggests the idea that the very beginning of the universe is a big black hole and time stops,... he says there was no time. This contradicts what we know from the relativity. There is time. Just ticks in a different pace from the outside of the black whole.