View Single Post
Drakkith
Jan23-12, 12:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 10,992
Quote Quote by salvestrom View Post
As to the question of how almost everything ends up in a blackhole. /shrug. When I say fastforward, I usualy think in terms of trillions of years. Given the rate at which galactic black holes are considered to consume material (I think 1 sun a year is a figure I saw on this board) I make an assumption that in time, a galaxy will end up entirely within a black hole, purely as a losing, gravity-driven battle.
The consumption of a black hole depends on the conditions at the center of each galaxy. Unless something causes most of the galaxy to spiral inward, galactic black holes will run out of material around them in time.

Honestly, the thing I'd like to focus on is this: the big bang banged. It had all matter/energy and space tied up in a rediculously dense ball of some equally rediculously small dimension and yet something forced it apart. So what's to stop a black hole, like the one at our galaxtic center 'going off'?

PS Galaxtic? Galactic? Galaqtik...
We don't know why the universe expanded from it's initial conditions at the time of the big bang. Given the current state of the universe that we can observe, there isn't any known force that could have caused it, especially Lambda as it currently is. I expect that to know what happened, and what happens inside of a black hole would require a quantum theory of gravity or something similar.

As to what stops a black hole from doing the same, I'd have to say it's the fact that it isn't the Big Bang.