View Single Post
Karl Coryat
Feb11-12, 04:20 PM
P: 41
Hi folks, I asked a form of this question in another forum and didn't get a satisfying answer.

As I understand it, there is a time in the early universe (t < 1012 s) when particles have not acquired mass. According to special relativity, massless particles travel at c. Also according to special relativity, a body traveling at c does not have a rest frame. Therefore it would seem that prior to 1012 s, there is nothing in the universe against which a rest frame can be established.

If that is true, my question is: In what precise sense can we speak of a unique configuration of the universe, with unique spatial relations among particles, etc., at a time when nothing in the universe is capable of measuring such relations?

To put it another way: In physics we learn early on that a human observer is not necessary, that an electron can function as an observer. So how is that expressed in the case when the universe contains only radiation?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
Voyager spacecraft might not have reached interstellar space
A new approach in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence: targeting alien polluters