View Single Post
mangaroosh
Feb15-12, 01:02 AM
P: 359
Quote Quote by ghwellsjr View Post
Planes that don't experience wind resistance are not a part of my analogy and you shouldn't be introducing them into the discussion.
Apologies, I was trying to get a better understanding of the MMX without the notion of an ether wind.

I covered the situation where the measurement was made while stationary on the ground. You shouldn't be asking about this again.
Apologies, I thought they were different questions

It's not just in deep space but at different altitudes on earth. Note 7 of Einstein's 1905 paper says:

You shouldn't be bringing this up. Isn't it obvious that if you want to use a mechanical clock, it must be one that is not going to be influenced by environmental factors? You could use a mechanical clock that has a balance wheel in it, the type that Einstein says to use.
In the scenario of the moving train, where the slower relative [to the train carriage] speed of light would be offset by the slower ticking light clock, would the use of such a mechanical clock to measure the speed of light lead to the observer measuring a slower speed.

Why do you object to any assumption that doesn't conflict with experimental evidence? You are free to adopt ether Lorentzian relativity or Einsteinian relativity (or both) since they both comport with reality identically (they both stand or fall together) but to argue that one should be excluded because it "doesn't sit too well with me" or because "to my mind it seems more objectionable" is the height of arrogance.
I don't think it's a matter of arrogance, rather a matter of reason.

The objection to Lorentzian relativity, that usually seems to get cited as the reason for preferring Einsteinian relativity, is the fact that it doesn't have the undetectable, absolute rest frame; while Einsteinian relativity appears to treat each reference frames as though they are that absolute rest frame - that doesn't appear to be too different from my own reasoning.

However, that I find it more objectionable is not necessarily a conscientious preference for one over the other, rather that from trying to develop an understanding of both theories, the process of assimiltation of information has lead, for some reason, to Einsteinian relativity not sitting well; that could be, in part, due to the reasons that are given for preferring Einsteinian relativity over Lorentzian.

EDIT: also possibly because it seems like the superfluous assumption [of an absolute rest frame] that seems to make Lorentzian relativity less attractive, could probably be done away with, within the context of Lorentzian relativity.