View Single Post
hochs
Feb25-12, 01:01 PM
P: 39
Yea, I think our colleagues will laugh at how little substance you put into your arguments. I think it's clear at this point that you only know how to rant and don't really understand how debate works. You refuse to read my perfectly sound responses to your claims (which you only repeat like a cry-baby without giving any support).

I'll make it easy for you (who obviously lacks essential skills in communication) by giving you a big picture overview of what is happening, starting with the OP's question:

OP: Hi, I would like to know how people in general find integral closures.

hochs: ok, in the case of global fields, we make use of discriminants and differents. You may not know what these terms mean, but you can easily look them up in any basic algebraic number theory texts. For what it's worth, I'll take my time and write down what may be useful to you after you have read them. This will basically be a guide so that you know where to start.

(hochs spends time carefully writing up outlines and the relevant terms/jargons so that the OP has a guide on where to look).

disregardthat: Hey, for integral closure of Z in Q(sqrt(2)), you just do it by hand. (hochs of course mentioned it, but I'll stipulate it again. no problem!)

DonAntonio: OMG these stuff is too hard! I can't understand! (Riles at poor hochs).

hochs: re-iterates his points, and clarifies the OP's wording of the question to DonAntonio.

DonAntonio: OMG these stuff is too hard! I can't understand! (Riles at poor hochs).

I'll add one more point here:

DonAntonio, when you're doing real math, you can't always expect to be spoon-fed the details of simple calculations. Your advisor (I'm assuming you're at most an undergrad, since you clearly don't seem to understand how mathematicians learn materials) will not give you all the details in the world. Often times you will hear lots of terms that may seem over your head, you might feel dejected at first, but you go home and look up/put in efforts into understanding the relevant concepts and how they're used. Welcome to Math.

-hochs, Ph.D, p-adic uniformization of shimura varieties.