Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6

In summary, the problem is that the equation $-3r^3+r^{2}s-3r^{4}+r^{3}s+6sr^2-2srs=0$ does not have a unique solution in the ring $R$.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Every one, I am having some difficulties with computing an element in the Integral dihedral group with order 6. Some background information for what is a group ring:

A group ring defined as the following from Dummit and Foote:

Fix a commutative ring $R$ with identity $1\ne0$ and let $G=\{g_{1},g_{2},g_{3},...,g_{n}\}$ be any finite group with group operation written multiplicatively. A group ring, $RG$, of $G$ with coefficients in $R$ to be the set of all formal sum

$a_1g_1+a_2g_2+\cdots+a_ng_n$, $a_i\in R$, $1\le i\le n$.
The addition is based on component addition. Multiplication for group ring is defined as $(ag_i)(bg_j)=(ab)g_k$, where the product $ab\in R$ and $g_ig_j=g_k$ is the product in the Group $G$, for the formal sum just add the distributive laws.

Here is question:

Let $G=D_6$ be the dihedral group of order 6 with the usual generators $r$,$s$ ($r^3=s^2=1$ and $rs=sr^{-1}$) and let $R=\Bbb{Z}$. The elements $\alpha=r+r^2-2s$ and $\beta=-3r^2+rs$ are typical members of $\Bbb{Z}D_6$. find the sum and product.
Work:
$\alpha + \beta=r-2r^2-2s+rs$
Here is where the problems are:
\begin{align*}\alpha\beta=&(r+r^2-2s)(-3r^2+rs)\\
&=r(-3r^2+rs)+r^2(-3r^2+rs)-2s(-3r^2+rs)\\
&=-3r^3+r^{2}s-3r^{4}+r^{3}s+6sr^2-2srs
\end{align*}
The end line is where I have trouble with the computations.

Thanks
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Here is question:

Let $G=D_6$ be the dihedral group of order 6 with the usual generators $r$,$s$ ($r^3=s^2=1$ and $rs=sr^{-1}$) and let $R=\Bbb{Z}$. The elements $\alpha=r+r^2-2s$ and $\beta=-3r^2+rs$ are typical members of $\Bbb{Z}D_6$. find the sum and product.
Work:
$\alpha + \beta=r-2r^2-2s+rs$
Here is where the problems are:
\begin{align*}\alpha\beta=&(r+r^2-2s)(-3r^2+rs)\\
&=r(-3r^2+rs)+r^2(-3r^2+rs)-2s(-3r^2+rs)\\
&=-3r^3+r^{2}s-3r^{4}+r^{3}s+6sr^2-2srs
\end{align*}
The end line is where I have trouble with the computations.
All that remains is to use the identities $r^3=s^2=1$ and $rs=sr^{-1} = sr^2$ to simplify that last line. For example, $-3r^3 = -3$ (which I would prefer to write as $-3e$ where $e$ is the identity element of $D_6$). Also, $6sr^2 = 6sr^{-1} = 6rs$, and $-2srs = -2s(sr^2) = -2r^2$. In that way, you can write $(r+r^2-2s)(-3r^2+rs)$ as a linear combination of the six elements of $D_6$, which are $e,r,r^2,s,rs,r^2s$.

1. What is a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6?

A Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 is a mathematical structure that combines the concepts of a group, a ring, and an integral. It is a group of symmetries with 6 elements, where each element can be represented by a polynomial with integer coefficients.

2. How is a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 different from a regular dihedral group?

A regular dihedral group only has rotations and reflections as its elements, while a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 also includes polynomial operations. Additionally, the coefficients of the polynomials in a Group Ring Integral dihedral group are restricted to integers, while a regular dihedral group can have any real coefficients.

3. What are the applications of a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6?

Group Ring Integral dihedral groups with order 6 have various applications in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. They can be used to study symmetry in geometric shapes, crystal structures, and molecular structures. They also have applications in coding theory and cryptography.

4. How is the order of a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 determined?

The order of a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 is determined by the number of elements in the group, which is equal to the number of polynomials with integer coefficients of degree less than 6. In this case, the order is 6! = 720.

5. Can a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 be represented geometrically?

Yes, a Group Ring Integral dihedral group with order 6 can be represented geometrically using a regular hexagon with 6 vertices. Each element of the group can be associated with a specific rotation or reflection of the hexagon, and the polynomial operations can be visualized as transformations of the hexagon.