View Single Post
maximiliano
Feb27-12, 10:47 PM
P: 43
So, I'm not in any way trained in any type of physics...so I'm sorry for the very basic way of explaining my question.

Energy released from burning firewood (for example). The way I think of this (and would explain it to someone) is that a chemical reaction is occurring, where hydrocarbons are being broken into their individual parts...that being hydrogen and carbon. The smoke I see is the carbon (and other stuff like water vapor). The heat I feel are the molecular bonds (energy) which were previously holding carbon and hydrogen together in a molecular fashion. Question/s- Is this incorrect....or essentially how it is working? Also.....where is the hydrogen going? Is that the fuel for the flame I see, combusting with the oxidizer in the air? Is the energy released from the weak force??

Energy released from an "atomic" (let's use fission for the example) explosion- Is the energy that is released a manifestation of the energy (strong force?) contained within the bonds which previously (pre-fission) held the atomic structure/parts (neutron, proton, electron) together?

Basically, I've always had it reasoned out in my head that fire/combustion is the release of the molecular bonds (previously holding the molecules together), while fission and fusion are releasing atomic bonds (previously holding the sub-atomic particles together). Am I out in left field?? I started thinking and reading about the weak and strong forces....which made me question the basic assumptions I have long kept....??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage