View Single Post
HiILikeMath
Mar4-12, 04:32 AM
P: 16
Right now I'm in my junior year working on an accounting degree, but I'm finding this clearly isn't my passion. I'll still finish for the degree because I believe it has value, but I plan to also minor in math and then apply to a masters in math program.

I've had a lot of questions about the discipline however; one of which is whether applied math has any more value than pure math in the job market? It makes sense for applied math to have more value, but a friend from school who is in a math program said to go for pure math, because it teaches you the fundamental skills that can translate to other things easily.

Also, is the value in a masters in math degree truly worth the costs (time, money, effort) even if I do enjoy the discipline? My thinking from reading some posts here is that if you tailor your degree to a specialty or niche, you can have good prospects, but mainly from that niche. Is that true? My intent of going for a masters is to have a wider range of opportunities so if that were the case I might not. I may have more questions but that's it for now, thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye