At a disadvantage for hiring with BA math, MS Mech. Eng?

insupliquitous
I have a math BA and have been teaching HS for the past few years.
Thinking of going back for my MS in MechE with the goal of becoming an engineer. There is a program which will allow me to take around 6-7 undergrad MechE classes (physics 1, CAD, statics, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, mechanics of materials, etc) and then will allow me to move onto a MechE masters. My BA in math counts for 5 math engineering core courses I also would have had to take.

I am curious whether I would be at a disadvantage for hiring if I did this. Would someone with a BS in MechE and no MS be favored over a BA math, MS MechE?

The other option would be to get a second bachelor's, but I have heard that since I have a math degree already, I might as well go on to the masters.

Physics news on Phys.org
insupliquitous said:
There is a program which will allow me to take around 6-7 undergrad MechE classes (physics 1, CAD, statics, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, mechanics of materials, etc) and then will allow me to move onto a MechE masters. My BA in math counts for 5 math engineering core courses I also would have had to take.
How do [courses you took for BA Math + remedial undergrad courses you plan to take as part of your MS ME program] compare to courses taken for BS ME at the school you are considering for your MS ME? That would be a good place to start. Courses would include labs and projects and undergrad thesis (if applicable).

CrysPhys said:
How do [courses you took for BA Math + remedial undergrad courses you plan to take as part of your MS ME program] compare to courses taken for BS ME at the school you are considering for your MS ME? That would be a good place to start. Courses would include labs and projects and undergrad thesis (if applicable).
From the BS ME at the same school, I would be missing:
- Intro to engineering/design
- Materials science
- Instrumentation
- Heat transfer
- Senior lab 2 semesters
- Four electives

Seems pretty significant. But apparently not strictly necessary?
I think if I went for the second bachelor's it could take 3 years.

insupliquitous said:
From the BS ME at the same school, I would be missing:
- Intro to engineering/design
- Materials science
- Instrumentation
- Heat transfer
- Senior lab 2 semesters
- Four electives

Seems pretty significant. But apparently not strictly necessary?
I think if I went for the second bachelor's it could take 3 years.
* Are the four electives specifically ME courses?

* Do you know what field you plan to work in after you complete your MS ME? E.g., I know one guy who went to work for an auto manufacturer; another who does HVAC design for large commercial buildings.

* Does the school have listings of alumni who completed the specific MS ME program (non-ME bachelor's)? If so, where did they find jobs afterwards?

CrysPhys said:
Does the school have listings of alumni who completed the specific MS ME program (non-ME bachelor's)? If so, where did they find jobs afterwards?
This.

In the abstract, this is going to be a tough one to answer. What will an unknown hiring manager at an unknown company looking for someone for an unknown job think of this application in the context of other, unknown applicants,. Your background may bring you towards the top, or towards the bottom.

That said, I think the biggest issue is that while your competition was spending years doing engineering, you weren't. And there's really not much that can be done about that.

What is the difference between a BA in math and an MS in mechanical engineering?

A BA in math typically focuses on theoretical and abstract concepts in mathematics, while an MS in mechanical engineering focuses on the application of math and physics principles to design and analyze mechanical systems.

Why would someone with an MS in mechanical engineering be at a disadvantage for hiring compared to someone with a BA in math?

Some employers may view a BA in math as more versatile and applicable to a wider range of industries, while an MS in mechanical engineering may be seen as more specialized and limited to certain fields.

What skills and knowledge does an MS in mechanical engineering provide that a BA in math may not?

An MS in mechanical engineering typically includes coursework and hands-on experience in areas such as design, materials science, thermodynamics, and mechanics, which are directly applicable to the field of mechanical engineering.

Are there any advantages to having both a BA in math and an MS in mechanical engineering?

Having both degrees can demonstrate a strong foundation in both theoretical and applied mathematics, as well as a diverse skill set that may be attractive to employers in various industries.

What types of jobs or industries may be more interested in hiring someone with an MS in mechanical engineering?

Industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy often require engineers with a strong background in mechanical engineering, making an MS in this field a valuable asset for job seekers.