View Single Post
Wingeer
Mar6-12, 10:09 PM
P: 79
Hello,
I have a quick question about extension fields.
We know that if E is an extension field of F and if we have got an irreducible polynomial p(x) in F[x] with a root u in E, then we can construct F(u) which is the smallest subfield of E containing F and u. This by defining a homomorphism:

[tex]\Phi : F[x] \to E[/tex]
by
[tex]\Phi (f(x)) = f(u)[/tex].

Then, since the ideal generated by p(x) in F[x] is maximal, and
[tex]Ker \Phi = p(x)[/tex]
we have, using the fundamental theorem of homomorphisms, that:
[tex]F[x] / (p(x))[/tex]
is isomorphic to
[tex]F[u] = \{a_0 + a_0u + \cdots + a_mu^m | a_0 + a_0x + \cdots + a_mx^m \in F[x] \}[/tex]
Which in fact is equal to F(u), the smallest subfield of E containing F and u.

The dimension of F[u] over F is given by:
[tex][F[u]:F]=deg(p(x))[/tex]
Also in drawing that conclusion we need the fact that the set [tex]\{1,u,u^2, \cdots, u^{n-1}\}[/tex] is a basis for F[u].

This is all fine, but what stumped me is the concept of expanding over this field again by adding, say another root v in E of p(x) (assuming such v exists, of course). We also assume that v is not algebraic in F(u), so that we need another extension to cover the roots of p(x).
I reckon that [tex]F(u,v)[/tex] is an alternative, but I would like to describe a general element in this field, like one could for an element in F(u). Is there also a nice way to find the dimension of F(u,v) over F(u)? Is it simply 2?

I hope that I made myself clear, and if there are any uncertainties be kind to ask.
Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric