Show That F[u]=F(u): Proving with Theorem

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary: We know that there exists a unique $g(x)$ such that $g(x)=f(x)$, but we don't know that there exists a unique $f(x)$ such that $f(x)=g(x)$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the following theorem:
Let $F$ be a field and $p(x)\in F[x]$ irreducible. Then there is a field $K$, of which $F$ is a subfield with the following properties:
  1. $\exists u\in K$ with $p(u)=0$, i.e., $p$ has a root in $K$.
  2. $K=F$

Referring to this theorem, I want to show that $F=F(u)$.

The elements of $F(u)$ are of the form $\frac{f(u)}{g(u)}$, where $f(u), g(u)\in F$ and $g(u)\neq 0$.
The elements of $F$ are the polynomials of $u$ with coefficients in $F$.
So, we have that $F\subseteq F(u)$ for $g(u)=1$, right?

At the theorem we have that $K=F$ is a field, that means that each non-zero element has an inverse. Therefore, $\forall f(u)\in F \ \ \exists g(u)\in F : \frac{f(u)}{g(u)}\in F \Rightarrow F(u)\subseteq F$.

So, we conclude that $F=F(u)$.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have the following theorem:
Let $F$ be a field and $p(x)\in F[x]$ irreducible. Then there is a field $K$, of which $F$ is a subfield with the following properties:
  2. $K=F$

Referring to this theorem, I want to show that $F=F(u)$.

The elements of $F(u)$ are of the form $\frac{f(u)}{g(u)}$, where $f(u), g(u)\in F$ and $g(u)\neq 0$.
The elements of $F$ are the polynomials of $u$ with coefficients in $F$.

The elements of $F$ are the polynomials in $F[x]$ evaluated at $u$.

So, we have that $F\subseteq F(u)$ for $g(u)=1$, right?

At the theorem we have that $K=F$ is a field, that means that each non-zero element has an inverse. Therefore, $\forall f(u)\in F \ \ \exists g(u)\in F : \frac{f(u)}{g(u)}\in F \Rightarrow F(u)\subseteq F$.

Saying that each nonzero element of $F$ is invertible in $F$ is not the same as what you have written. It means that
$$\forall f(u)\in F, \exists g(u)\in F \text{ such that } f(u)g(u)=1$$
This helps because it tells us that whenever $g(u)\in F$ is nonzero, we have $1/g(u)\in F$. Therefore $f(u)/g(u)\in F$ for all $f(u)\in F$ and all nonzero $g(u)\in F$, showing that $F(u)\subseteq F$.

So, we conclude that $F=F(u)$.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

I have added my comments in red in the above.

caffeinemachine said:
I have added my comments in red in the above.

2. $K=F$
The elements of $F$ are the polynomials in $F[x]$ evaluated at $u$.

So, we have that $F\subseteq F(u)$ for $g(u)=1$.

At the theorem we have that $K=F$ is a field, that means that each nonzero element of $F$ is invertible in $F$, so
$$\forall f(u)\in F, \exists g(u)\in F \text{ such that } f(u)g(u)=1$$
So, whenever $g(u)\in F$ is nonzero, we have $1/g(u)\in F$. Therefore $f(u)/g(u)\in F$ for all $f(u)\in F$ and all nonzero $g(u)\in F$, showing that $F(u)\subseteq F$.

Why do we have that whenever $g(u)\in F$ is nonzero, we have $1/g(u)\in F$ and not whenever $f(u)\in F$ is nonzero, we have $1/f(u)\in F$ ?
We know that for each $f(x)$ there is a $g(x)$, but we don't know that for each $g(x)$ there is a $f(x)$, do we? (Wondering)

1. What is the purpose of proving F[u]=F(u) with a theorem?

The purpose of proving F[u]=F(u) with a theorem is to show that the function F is invariant under the operation of u. This means that applying the operation u to the function F does not change the output. It is an important concept in mathematics and is often used to prove other theorems and properties.

2. How do you approach proving F[u]=F(u) with a theorem?

To prove F[u]=F(u) with a theorem, you first need to understand the definitions and properties of the function F and the operation u. Then, you can use mathematical reasoning and logic to show that for any input to the function F, applying the operation u will not change the output. This can be done using algebraic manipulation or other proof techniques.

3. Is it necessary to use a theorem to prove F[u]=F(u)?

No, it is not necessary to use a theorem to prove F[u]=F(u). It is possible to prove it using other methods, such as direct substitution or using specific examples. However, using a theorem provides a more general and rigorous proof that applies to all inputs of the function F.

4. What are some common theorems used to prove F[u]=F(u)?

Some common theorems used to prove F[u]=F(u) include the identity property, the inverse property, and the associativity property of the operation u. These theorems can be used in combination with other properties and definitions of the function F to show that it is invariant under the operation u.

5. Can F[u]=F(u) be proven for all types of functions and operations?

Yes, F[u]=F(u) can be proven for all types of functions and operations as long as the function and operation follow certain properties. For example, the commutative property of the operation u is necessary for the proof to hold. If the function and operation do not follow these properties, then the statement F[u]=F(u) may not be true.