View Single Post
PAllen
Mar7-12, 12:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,862
Quote Quote by questionpost View Post

Ok, then "why" does it stop just because it's at a boundary where the escape velocity happens to be light? Also, you said before that other escape velocities don't matter, so does that mean once inside the event horizon, even if I traveled 99% the speed of light away from the singularity, it wouldn't slow down my in-fall? It seems related to hypothetically traveling at the speed of light.
Why is that too? We can calculate what happens when you travel at the speed of light with an equation yet right next to it have another equation that says you can never travel at or faster than the speed of light, within the same theory known as GR.
Why? That's not really a question of physics. A distant observer would see a a clock slow and light red shift on approach to a neutron star. Approach to a horizon is the same thing only more extreme. Asymptotically stopping just reflects that force needed to escape becomes infinite on approach to horizon. This stoppage is only observed by someone remaining further away from the horizon. There is no stoppage for the infaller.

I don't know what you are referring to in claiming I said escape velocities don't matter. I don't know what you are going on about traveling at or faster than the speed of light. I keep repeating this is all nonsense.

The singularity is a point in time not in space. Once inside the horizon, you can shine a flashlight any direction, and fire bullets in any direction, but all light and any projectiles you fire, in any direction, move forward in time toward the singularity. Poetically, you can say the singularity is a point in time where space ceases to exist for you. (In fact, you will be subject to enormous (ultimately infinite) compression and stretching, but you can always define a tiny enough region where everything is momentarily normal - until the moment of reaching the singularity).