View Single Post
flicflex
Nov14-12, 07:03 AM
P: 13

Curious phase transition

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
And the Earth surface is at zero, because we decided the surface is at zero and we measure everything from the surface. It is like asking why all distances from home are measured from home, as if the home was the center of the world. Well - if you ask what is the distance from the home to the gas station, don't be surprised the distance is measured from home.
OK thank you, that means that we assume to be the center of our environnement . Why not (but it's a rather old school style)

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
There is no phase transition between Earth crust and atmosphere. Phase transition means the same substance changing state of matter (like ice melting), not different substances being in contact (like nail in the water).
I appreciate your answer Borek, but I'm sorry to say that according to wikipedia you are wrong.

Quote Quote by Wikipedia
A phase transition is the transformation of a thermodynamic system from one phase or state of matter to another.
Quote Quote by Wikipedia
A thermodynamic system is a precisely specified macroscopic region of the universe, defined by boundaries or walls of particular natures, together with the physical surroundings of that region, which determine processes that are allowed to affect the interior of the region, studied using the principles of thermodynamics.
That's why I ask for your help again : what is the mathematic characterization of the crust-atmosphere phase transition?

Thank you, Thibault.