View Single Post
alexia-m
Nov15-12, 07:13 PM
P: 1
Hello everyone,

For my physics class, I want to build an AC motor with styrofoam, magnets, screws and magnet wire.

So far, I have built a cylinder of about 2.5" of radius and 1" in height with eight magnets (strengh 6/10) around it. Each magnet is glued on the side of the cylinder alternatively north, south, north, ... .
This cylinder is crossed by a wooden stick that allows it to rotate.

I also built a ring of styrofoam that goes around the cylinder. Across each magnet on the outer ring, I have eight screws with wire magnet wrapped around them (150 turns each).

Should I wrap the bolts alternatively counterclockwise and clockwise or does that matter?

Also, I heard that I need to have AC current going through it (I have tried with a 9V battery in the past which didn't make the system rotate). How can I get an AC current going through it?

I also tried to light a small LED light by connecting the magnet wires around one bolt to the led light and forcing the center wheel to turn. The light did NOT turn on. How can I make it light up? If I connect all the coils in series, would that work?

My teacher said that there was a way to make a commutator with aluminum wrapped around a stick and cut on one side. How would that work?

Please, let me know if you have any idea to make this project work.

I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you.

Alexia-m
Attached Thumbnails
photo (18).JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)