How do i choose the right ac or dc motor

In summary: Can't burn it off because i live in town. It is bad for the ozone and if caught doing so you will be charged a good size fine for doing so.I have been told that you will be docked you if you scorch the wire.
slee95
I'm building a wire strippers by cutting a hole in a piece of 2x4 which has a blade on the bottom of the hole. I want to use a motor to pull the wire threw by using a motor a gear and a strip of metal. The strip of metal clamps the wire down on the gear which is turned by the motor. I was wondering what type of motor do i want to use to pull the wire threw? I was thinking of using a ace 120v ac vacuum motor but don't know if it is the correct type of motor to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the speed (in meters per second) you want the wire to got at. Divide that by the circumference of the gear (in meters) and multiply by 60. The answer is the rpm you need. Look up the RPM in the spec for the motor.

Measure the force (in Newtons) required to pull the wire through at that speed. Multiply by the radius of the gear (in meters) to get the Torque (in Newton Meters). Check the RPM vs Torque curve on the motor spec to confirm the RPM is still ok at that torque.

Multiply the RPM by 0.105 to get the angular velocity (in Radians per Second). Multiply that by the torque to get the power needed in Watts. Look that up on the motor spec.

I suspect many motors will go too fast for what you want.

If you are trying to reclaim the copper from scrap wire then I think most people burn it off :-(

Can't burn it off because i live in town. It is bad for the ozone and if caught doing so you will be charged a good size fine for doing so.I have been told that you will be docked you if you scorch the wire.

slee95 said:
Can't burn it off because i live in town. It is bad for the ozone and if caught doing so you will be charged a good size fine for doing so.I have been told that you will be docked you if you scorch the wire.
CWatters
If you are trying to reclaim the copper from scrap wire then I think most people burn it off :-(

When choosing a motor for your wire stripper, there are a few factors to consider. The first is the type of power source, AC or DC. AC motors are typically used for high power applications, while DC motors are better for low power applications. Since you are building a wire stripper, it is likely that you will need a motor with high power, so an AC motor may be a better choice.

Next, you will want to consider the speed and torque of the motor. The speed of the motor will determine how fast it can pull the wire through, while the torque will determine how much force it can apply to the wire. You will want to choose a motor with a high enough speed and torque to effectively pull the wire through without getting stuck or causing damage.

In terms of specific motor types, there are a few options that could work for your wire stripper. One option is a universal motor, which can operate on both AC and DC power and can provide high speeds and torque. Another option is a brushed DC motor, which is known for its efficiency and ability to provide high torque. You could also consider a stepper motor, which is commonly used in precision applications and can provide precise control over speed and position.

In terms of the specific motor you mentioned, the Ace 120v AC vacuum motor, it may not be the best choice for your wire stripper. Vacuum motors are typically used for suction or blowing applications, and may not have the necessary speed and torque for pulling wire. It's best to research the specifications of the motor and compare them to your requirements before making a decision.

Overall, the key factors to consider when choosing a motor for your wire stripper are power source, speed, and torque. It may also be helpful to consult with a motor expert or do further research to determine the best motor for your specific application.

1. How do I determine whether I need an AC or DC motor?

The type of motor you need depends on the application. AC motors are typically used for household appliances and industrial machinery, while DC motors are more commonly found in smaller devices like power tools and toys. AC motors are also better suited for constant speed applications, while DC motors are better for variable speed control.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a motor?

Some important factors to consider include the power requirements of your application, the desired speed and torque, and the physical size and weight constraints. It is also important to consider the motor's efficiency, reliability, and cost.

3. What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors?

Brushed DC motors use brushes and a commutator to transfer electrical current to the motor's armature, while brushless DC motors use electronic commutation to control the current flow. Brushless motors tend to be more efficient, have longer lifespans, and require less maintenance compared to brushed motors.

4. How do I determine the power requirements for my motor?

The power requirements for a motor are based on the load and speed requirements of your application. To calculate the power, you can use the formula Power = Torque x Angular Speed. Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the load by the distance from the center of rotation, and angular speed is measured in radians per second.

5. What is the best way to control the speed of a motor?

The method of speed control depends on the type of motor. AC motors can be controlled using a variable frequency drive, while DC motors can be controlled using a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller. Another option is to use a gearbox to adjust the speed of the motor mechanically.