View Single Post
bohm2
Dec6-12, 04:37 PM
PF Gold
P: 691
Thanks, I have read some of Taubes, Eaton's and Atkin's suff. I think what is interesting about the papers I've linked above is that some proteins appear to elicit significant insulin secretion while fats may blunt the response. Consider this interesting comment in a more recent paper by some of the same authors:
Interestingly, in the present study, the fat content of the mixed meal showed a significant inverse relation (r = 20.60) with observed insulin responses and was a more reliable predictor of insulin demand than the amount of carbohydrate. This finding is consistent with our previous study of 38 single foods. The explanation may be the reciprocal relation between fat and the sum of the other 2 macronutrients, protein and carbohydrate. Although carbohydrate is the primary stimulus for insulin secretion, insulinotropic amino acids and bioactive peptides are also potent stimulators of insulin release (11, 19, 20). Because protein stimulates insulin secretion, particularly when combined with carbohydrate (8, 20), the meals with the highest protein and carbohydrate content (and hence lowest fat content) produce the highest insulin responses.
Food insulin index: physiologic basis for predicting insulin demand evoked by composite meals
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/4/986.full.pdf