View Single Post
Evo
Dec7-12, 07:59 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Quote Quote by Darwin123 View Post
I think what I really meant by psychotic was psychopathy.

What is the difference between asperger's and psychopathy?

Pythagorean pointed out that what I described really sounds like "anti-social personality disorder... often refferred to as psychopathy." He offered the solution that the psychopathic person has a theory of mind, while the anyone on the autistic spectrum (e.g., Asperger's syndrome) does not.

Is that it? Or is there something else?
This kind of repeats what pyth and I have both pointed out earlier. Sorry this is such a long post, long posts tend to discourage people from reading, but this is mainly to answer your question.

Psychopathy sends you to antisocial personality disorder.

Psychopathy and the DSM-IV criteria for antisocial personality disorder

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1918618

Antisocial personality disorder

The causes of antisocial personality disorder are unknown. Genetic factors and child abuse are believed to contribute to the development of this condition. People with an antisocial or alcoholic parent are at increased risk. Far more men than women are affected. The condition is common in people who are in prison.

Fire-setting and cruelty to animals during childhood are linked to the development of antisocial personality.

Some people believe that psychopathic personality (psychopathy) is the same disorder. Others believe that psychopathic personality is a similar but more severe disorder.

Antisocial personality disorder is a mental health condition in which a person has a long-term pattern of manipulating, exploiting, or violating the rights of others. This behavior is often criminal.

A person with antisocial personality disorder may:

Be able to act witty and charming

Be good at flattery and manipulating other people's emotions

Break the law repeatedly

Disregard the safety of self and others

Have problems with substance abuse

Lie, steal, and fight often

Not show guilt or remorse

Often be angry or arrogant
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001919/

This couldn't be more different than aspergers disorder.

Diagnostic criteria for Asperger’s syndrome according to DSM-IV (shortened)

Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. Marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

2.Failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

3.Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people

4.Lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

1. Encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

2,Apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

3.Stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
Persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D There is no clinically significant general delay in language e.g., single words used by age two years, communicative phrases used by age three years).

E There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development.

F Criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.
Initial symptoms of the disorder can be observed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695286/

As Pyth and I both pointed out, there is nothing similar between the two disorders.