View Single Post
JasonJo
Jul1-05, 01:49 PM
P: 431
hey I have some computer architecture questions that are freaking me out:

1) what are the disadvantages and advantages of having larger cell sizes for main memory?
i said an advantage would be that we could store larger binary digits but a disadvantage would be that we would have fewer cells to use and you would need a big MAR to store the cell addresses.
any thoughts?

2) for a main memory size of 500,000 bytes, how big should the MAR be? i figured it should be 22 bits, since 500kb almost equal to 8mb, and 8mb is 2^22 bits. am i on the right track with this one?

3) this one i just have no clue on:
Suppose we structure our instruction register such that 6 bits are reserved for the op-code, 20 bits for the first memory address, 20 bits for the second memory address, and 20 for the third memory address. How many distinct op-codes can we use on this machine and what is the maximum size of the memory?

4) this one if you want to try also
-Write a BNF grammar that describes the structure of US telephone numbers, which is in the form (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxxx where x is any digit from 0 to 9. (1 point)

-Write another BNF that recognizes the fact that the middle digit of an area code must be a 0, 1, 2, or 3, the first digit of an area code cannot be a 0 or 1, and the first digit of the seven digit phone number cannot be a 0 or 1.

i have no idea what a BNF grammar is! lol

I got the possible op codes down, 2^6 or 64 possible op codes. but the maximum size of memory?? as you can tell, i am having huge difficulties with the structure and function of main memory and MAR/MDR stuff.

any help would be awesome, my final is coming up in a week, im jut trying to get a good grasp on this topic that i am very weak in.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice