View Single Post
moose
Jul4-05, 04:55 PM
P: 555
OMG lotsa quotes
Stephen Hawking
"I think any visit by aliens would be very obvious and probably very unpleasant like in the movie 'Independance Day' " - Stephen Hawking

“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.” – Stephen Hawking

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.” – Stephen Hawking

Carl Sagan
“It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to fifty words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese.” – Carl Sagan

“If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.” – Carl Sagan

“Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.” – Carl Sagan

“All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value.” – Carl Sagan

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.” – Carl Sagan

“Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?” – Carl Sagan

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” – Carl Sagan

“When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it.” – Carl Sagan

Michio Kaku
"You know; when I look at the night sky and I see this enormous splendor of stars and galaxies, I sometimes ask the question, well how many worlds are we talking about? Well do the math, there are about 100 billion galaxies that are in the visible universe and each galaxy in turn contains about 100 billion stars, you multiply and you get about ten billion trillion stars. Well I think it is the height of arrogance to believe that we are alone in the universe, my attitude is that the universe is teaming, teaming with different kinds of life forms" -Michio Kaku

Albert Einstein
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." – Albert Einstein

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics; I assure you mine are far greater." – Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." – Albert Einstein

"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible." – Albert Einstein

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." – Albert Einstein

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." – Albert Einstein

“The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

Niels Bohr
“If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.” - Niels Bohr

“Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.” - Niels Bohr

“The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.” - Niels Bohr
Other
“To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.” – Copernicus

“Quit thy childhood, my friend, and wake up!” - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I LOVE this coming quote
We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us.
- Maurice Maeterlinck