Your Favorite / Most effective Study Habits?

• Studying
  • Thread starter astroboulders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses different study habits and techniques to help with retention, comprehension, and enjoyment of studying. One of the mentioned habits is taking short naps to refresh the mind and improve creativity and logical thinking. Other habits mentioned include reviewing material immediately after waking up and prioritizing sleep in between study sessions.
astroboulders
Hello

After basically divorcing academics during COVID, I'm in my senior year of my physics undergrad and working to redevelop the interest I had. I thought I'd see what others are doing to succeed in learning. What things help you most with retention, comprehension, and enjoying study?

One of mine is naps. If I feel exhausted, fried, or stuck, I often find a couch or hunch over my desk and aim for 15-30 min of sweet unconsciousness. I seem to wake up feeling either creatively invigorated or clearheaded and logical, and either way refreshed for more learning.

What are some of your favorite study habits that prime your brain to learn?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
astroboulders said:
Hello

After basically divorcing academics during COVID, I'm in my senior year of my physics undergrad and working to redevelop the interest I had. I thought I'd see what others are doing to succeed in learning. What things help you most with retention, comprehension, and enjoying study?

One of mine is naps. If I feel exhausted, fried, or stuck, I often find a couch or hunch over my desk and aim for 15-30 min of sweet unconsciousness. I seem to wake up feeling either creatively invigorated or clearheaded and logical, and either way refreshed for more learning.

What are some of your favorite study habits that prime your brain to learn?
The napping discussion is interesting. I had at times placed sleep between study sessions giving as little time to any other activity as possible. Like, study for some time at night, go to sleep, and upon wakeup IMMEDIATELY review or continue study. The mind must do something for you/itself while you sleep.

1. What is your favorite study method?

My favorite study method is active learning. This includes taking notes, summarizing information, and creating flashcards. I find that actively engaging with the material helps me retain information better.

2. How do you stay motivated while studying?

I stay motivated by setting specific goals for each study session and rewarding myself after completing them. I also like to switch up my study environment to keep things interesting.

3. Do you have any tips for staying focused while studying?

One tip for staying focused while studying is to eliminate distractions. This can include turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space. I also find that breaking up my study sessions into smaller chunks with breaks in between helps me stay focused.

4. How do you prepare for exams or tests?

I prepare for exams by reviewing my notes and creating study guides. I also like to practice with past exams or quizzes to get a feel for the types of questions that may be asked.

5. How do you balance studying with other responsibilities?

I prioritize my responsibilities and create a schedule that allows me to allocate enough time for studying while also completing other tasks. I also make sure to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.