View Single Post
Mike2
Oct8-05, 10:50 AM
P: 1,308
Quote Quote by Chronos
Microlensing is the most punishing evidence in favor of DM. I was hardcore against the DM model when it first came out, but, microlensing [and to a certain extent large scale structure studies] convinced me that DM is the only logical explanation.
Has it been proven that not any kind of distribution of normal, baryoinic matter could account for DM effects because normal matter would scatter light too much, whereas DM WIMPs would not?

Could the ZPE of QFT have enough energy/mass to produce the same effects as DM. Maybe with very large volumes of space there might be enough energy to bend light and change galatic rotation curves.

To this end, is the ZPE background independent? Or does the energy produced depend on the curvature of the spacetime in which it is calculated?

I'm thinking that the tidal forces of a gravitational gradient (from a nearby galaxy or cluster) will increase the probability that virtual pairs will become permanently separated and survive long enough to produce gravitational effects. (Does any ZPE interact with light and cause gravity?) I think this is so for two reasons: one, the particles involved in Hawking radiation near BHs don't locally know they're near an horizon - locally all they feel is the tidal forces. And two, the equivalence principle equates accelerating frames of reference to those in a gravitational field. This being so, then the Unruh temperature effect for accelerating frames should also apply to frames in a gravitational field, right? This would give a particular temperature (and the particles that produce it) to particular gravity gradient, just as near an horizon. Then more ZPE would congregate around more massive objects (on intergalatic scales) and produce the DM effects, right?