View Single Post
mccrone
Oct20-05, 06:54 PM
P: 90
Quote Quote by selfAdjoint
The new model does avoid some of the nasty Higgs problems that have turned up in the MSSM, and they predict the right number of kinds of quarks. But they don't have the quark masses yet.
To my mind one of their most significant assets is giving a clear explanation (apparently; I just know it through Lubos' summary) of why, in 25 years of work since Witten et al showed this kind of model was possible, there has been no realistic work like this before. There was a "hard problem" in the Calabi-Yau specification which they have now solved topologically. And I like their topology!
This is probably a naive question but are you talking about deriving the actual masses of the three generations of quarks from string topology? Something that would predict the oddly irregular steps from down to strange to bottom (roughly a ratio of - 1/16/42), or from up to charm to top (roughly 1/600/283).

I familiar with how CY spaces would have three "holes" for three generations. But is there even a broad brush understanding why the actual masses of particles should be so lacking in a regular progression?

Cheers - John McCrone.