View Single Post
turin
Nov21-03, 04:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Originally posted by mormonator_rm
Energy also has a tendency to form massive bodies to carry it off.
Is this something like a postulate of particle physics?

So as the potential grows, it seeks to bring it back down by creating a quark-antiquark pair. This allows the energy to be released in the form of mass, and also brings the potential back down to where you started.
But the energy is still there, just in a different form (instead of potential energy which I'm assuming to be synonymous with virtual bosons, it is now in the form of fermions). So is mass like the most stable form of stress-energy?

I've also heard that matter and energy are just excitations of a field (I think something like this particle/antiparticle sea). Is there some postulate that says the exitations like to manifest in the form of multiples of 1/2 integer spins?

The total energy within the baryon should remain fairly constant as long as it does not decay. Basically, the quark-antiquark "sea" and the potential will trade off, but always add up to the total energy that we see as the baryon's rest mass.
But isn't the mass of the proton and neutron attributed solely to the masses of the three quarks plus a little bit of binding energy (not even enough extra mass for one more quark)? Or do I have that totally wrong?

Mesons are in effect bosons. They have integer spin just like the Gauge Bosons do.
But they are fermionic, are they not (isn't their wavefunction overall antisymmetric)? The s shell electron pair in ground state He is also like a boson in the same respect, right? But the electrons are still fermions, and they only interact with other He electrons by mediating true bosons (and Pauli exclusion?), right?