Is the Universe Expanding and What Does This Mean for the Future?

In summary, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the universe is expanding. Observational evidence indicates that the expansion is accelerating, and that the average density of the universe is very close to the critical density. It is still uncertain, however, as to what the geometry of space will be for the universe at the critical density.
waznboyd
My friends and I just came across a discussion of the expansion of the universe. I am new to this subject and thus have limited background knowledge to this and would like to have a few questions clarified by the professionals here :)

Is the universe expanding? I believe my friend stated that Einstein was the one who made the claim but how did he do so? What was some of the support?

What are its effects, ie what will happen in the future? The big crunch? :confused:

Those are the two main questions I have as of right now. Thanks for any help :biggrin:

Space news on Phys.org
Expansion of the universe is a consequence of the big bang theory [BBT]. Einstein is usually credited with discovering this feature of the universe [a general relativity thing]. According to his model, the universe had a propensity to either collapse or expand. Einstein, as did most other scientists of his day, assumed the universe was infinitely old and immutable. He therefore hand-inserted a 'cosmological constant' in an attempt to preserve the universe in a perfect state of gravitational equilibrium. He later recanted this ad hoc insertion calling it 'the biggest mistake of his career' after Hubble discovered that the universe is, indeed, expanding [redshift - distance correlation].

The future of the universe, however, is still very much in doubt. It turns out the critical density [omega] - which determines whether the universe will expand forever, or eventually collapse - is too close to exactly 1 to make a confident prediction.

Second question first.

waznboyd said:
What are its effects, ie what will happen in the future? The big crunch? :confused:

Observational evidence strongly favours a universe that expands forever. Not only that, evidence that the rate of expansion is increasing, i.e., that the expansion is accelerating, has been accumulating for almost a decade.

These observations also have something to say about the geometry of space for the universe. The standard cosmologica modelsl allow three possible geometries for space. Space has 3 dimensions, but the possibilities are easier to visualize if we imagine that space has only 2 dimensions.

The first possibility is that space is closed, but without boundary. Imagine 2-dimensional beings that live on the surface of a large ball. Their space is finite, but they encounter no edges as they explore space.

It is also possible, that space is flat and infinite, like the top of an infinitely large table.

The final possibility is that space is open an infinite, like the surface of an infinite saddle.

As I said, space actually has 1 more dimension than these visualizations, but the ideas are the same.

In standard cosmological models, the average density of the universe determines the geometry: above a critical density, the universe is closed; at the critical density, the universe is flat; below the critical, the universe is open.

Observations indicate that the density of universe is very close to the critical density - too close for the observations to pin down the actual geometry.

Is the universe expanding? I believe my friend stated that Einstein was the one who made the claim but how did he do so? What was some of the support?

As above, imagine a closed universe that has two spatial dimensions, but instead of a ball, the universe is modeled by an expanding balloon, with galaxies represented by (dried) daubs of glue on the surface of the balloon. The balloon expands, but the galaxies (daubs) don't.

Galaxy A sees galaxy B via light that travels from A to B. Represent this by drawing with a marker an undulating wave between 2 daubs. As the balloon (universe) expands, the wavelength of the the wave increases with respect to the size of the daubs (galaxies and stuff like our metre sticks in a galaxy).

Ned Wright's website has a http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/balloon0.html" .

This actually is observed as a cosmological redshift of light from distant galaxies. It is called a redshift because red light has a larger wavelength than does blue light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got some questions, why is it stated "the universe is expanding" when it can more simpily be put as the galaxies are spreading apart. Also, if the universe has a shape their must be space outside that shape that continues infinitly. If the universe is expanding yet is finite where does it expand too. Finnaly is their a proper universaly accepted definition of the word universe, I've seen it defined as all space as a whole and also as only the matter and energy in space. The root of the word is the old english word oino which means one or basic form, so this makes me believe that it is all space both used and unused and is what my questions are founded on.

1. What is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe refers to the continuous increase in the distance between all galaxies and other celestial bodies. This phenomenon was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the early 20th century.

2. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured using a unit called the Hubble Constant, which represents the rate at which the universe is expanding. This constant is determined by measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which is caused by the expansion of the universe.

3. What is causing the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe is believed to be caused by a force called dark energy, which makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. This force is responsible for pushing galaxies and other celestial bodies apart.

4. Will the expansion of the universe ever stop?

It is currently believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely, as long as the amount of dark energy remains constant. However, there are some theories that suggest the expansion may slow down or even reverse in the distant future.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect us on Earth?

The expansion of the universe has very little effect on us on Earth, as the force of dark energy is relatively weak on a small scale. It does, however, play a role in the overall evolution and fate of the universe, and could potentially impact the formation of new galaxies in the future.