Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
dduardo
Nov19-03, 06:26 AM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Right now I have a Geforce 3.

Personally I think both are neck in neck in the market now. Ati has been coming out with very good cards recently. The only thing I don't like about Ati is their horrible drivers. Nvidia has really pushed the quality of video drivers. They even have unified linux drivers which makes installing them a piece of cake. Nvidia's hardware has been lagging behind these past years, especially with the failure some of their FX cards. All I have to say is that I don't need a screeching banshee (No pun intended for you 3dfx fans) taking up two slots and requiring a floppy power supply connector.
PrudensOptimus
Nov25-03, 09:33 PM
P: 640
Originally posted by dduardo
Right now I have a Geforce 3.

Personally I think both are neck in neck in the market now. Ati has been coming out with very good cards recently. The only thing I don't like about Ati is their horrible drivers. Nvidia has really pushed the quality of video drivers. They even have unified linux drivers which makes installing them a piece of cake. Nvidia's hardware has been lagging behind these past years, especially with the failure some of their FX cards. All I have to say is that I don't need a screeching banshee (No pun intended for you 3dfx fans) taking up two slots and requiring a floppy power supply connector.

Geforce will kick ***. Best card for 3dfx lovers.

russ_watters
Nov26-03, 02:36 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999

GeForce vs ATI

First, a clarification: "GeForce" is a product line. The company is called Nvidia.

Anyway, I own an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700.

ATI currently has a small lead in performance. Nvidia has been hurt by cheating on benchmarks and having settings in their drivers that don't match what the card is doing. When Half Life 2 comes out, owners of high end Nvidia cards will be sorely disappointed by the lack of adequate DirectX 9 support. Refusal to comply with Dx9 (in an effort to force MS to tailor DX9 to Nvidia technology) is why they lost the X-Box 2 to ATI.

ATI is on top right now. Nvidia is close, but they have some severe roadblocks ahead of them that they don't appear to be dealing with adequately.

Register to reply