Share this thread:
chroot
Nov26-03, 12:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Originally posted by Hurkyl
How do I get the arrows, then, if I want them?
Hmmm well, I thought I knew how, but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to look around. Maybe Ambitwistor knows a trick to put a command that has been \renew'd back to its default behavior.

Also, I found this pdf of useful mathematical constructs, that goes a bit beyond what we already have:

http://amath.colorado.edu/documentat...eX/Symbols.pdf

- Warren
Ambitwistor
Nov26-03, 03:55 PM
P: 837
I don't know how to get a command back to its original behavior. You could try defining a new command to act like the original \vec before you redefine it. (Or else you could leave the original alone and define a new command to act like the bold version.)
chroot
Nov26-03, 04:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by Ambitwistor
I don't know how to get a command back to its original behavior. You could try defining a new command to act like the original \vec before you redefine it. (Or else you could leave the original alone and define a new command to act like the bold version.)
Both are good ideas. Generally, boldfacing is the "proper" way to represent vectors. Unfortunately, TeX treats lowercase greek letters and uppercase greek letters differently, making it fairly complicated to just boldface any old character. I put the macro into the system so people wouldn't have to jump through hoops if they just wanted to make a boldface [tex]\inline{\vec \lambda}[/tex].

Maybe redefining \boldmath to work everywhere is the best approach here, leaving \vec alone.

- Warren
chroot
Nov26-03, 04:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I also just noticed that in IE6, the inline LaTeX images are a few pixels below the baseline of the text. In my preferred browser, Mozilla, they are exactly correct. Perhaps I need to tweak the site's style sheet to get the line spacing just right in all browsers. I'll have to think about it. In the meantime, everyone should switch to Mozilla Firebird!

- Warren
chroot
Nov26-03, 04:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Actually, scratch that -- when the font size is set to "Medium" in the view menu, it's just right in IE6 too. (whew) Are any of you experiencing inline LaTeX graphics that are NOT aligned properly with your text?

- Warren
chroot
Nov26-03, 04:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Also, Ambi, you LaTeX guru you,

Can you tell me why the font size is different between these two images?

[tex]\inline{
\int_{a}^{b}} e^x dx
}[/tex]

[tex]\inline{
e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n
}[/tex]

Look at the e^x... does the integral sign somehow cause the font size to change, or what?

- Warren
lethe
Nov27-03, 04:16 AM
P: 657
How do I get the arrows, then, if I want them?
wouldn t it just be better to follow ams guidlines, and have \vec make an overline, and \mathbf make boldface? i much prefer boldface to arrows in print, but i don t see any reason to override ams defaults to get rid of arrows... they are not that bad...
Hurkyl
Nov27-03, 09:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
What about making a new tag, say, [ itex ] for inline tex? It gets annoying having to type [ tex ]\inline{x}[ /tex ] 10 times in a post!!!
jcsd
Nov27-03, 10:12 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
Your right it can be annoying, when I posted a load of inline text though, I just copied the commands onto the clipboard and pasted, changing the code between the inline brackets.
chroot
Nov27-03, 01:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
What about making a new tag, say, [ itex ] for inline tex? It gets annoying having to type [ tex ]\inline{x}[ /tex ] 10 times in a post!!!
Yeah, I was strongly considering this from the beginning. Next time Greg lets me on the site, I'll do that.

- Warren
chroot
Nov28-03, 05:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Okay guys, now [ itex ] ... [ /itex ] is equivalent to [ tex ]\inline{...}[ /tex ].

Have fun.

- Warren
Hurkyl
Nov28-03, 05:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
W[itex]oo[/itex]t!
chroot
Nov28-03, 05:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Also, \vec now does [itex]\lambda_j = \vec{\lambda} \cdot \vec{e}_j[/itex] while \mathbf does [itex]\lambda_j = \mathbf{\lambda} \cdot \mathbf{e}_j[/itex].

- Warren
chroot
Nov28-03, 06:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
And ams math environments should work now too:

[tex]a + b + c + d + e + f
+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
a + b + c + d + e + f\\
+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{gather*}
a_1 = b_1 + c_1\\
a_2 = b_2 + c_2 - d_2 + e_2
\end{gather*}
[/tex]

- Warren
chroot
Nov28-03, 06:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Guide to using the amsmath package:

http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~dunbar/docs/amsldoc.pdf

- Warren
Hurkyl
Nov29-03, 04:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
What are all the spacers available to us? (like '~' and '\,')

(and remember, I'm a LaTeX newbie, so mentioning what they're supposed to do is nice probably should go in the .pdf too)
Hurkyl
Nov29-03, 04:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Is there a smaller triangle that goes well here? What's the command for the floor and ceiling functions? Am I spelling the command for omicron wrong, or is omicron identical to 'o' so there isn't a command?

[tex]\Delta x \triangle x[/tex]
[itex]\Delta x \triangle x[/itex]
Ambitwistor
Nov29-03, 04:31 PM
P: 837
[tex]ab[/tex]
[tex]a b[/tex]
[tex]a\! b[/tex]
[tex]a\, b[/tex]
[tex]a\: b[/tex]
[tex]a\; b[/tex]

Register to reply