Typesetting standards for subscripts

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter TRB8985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Typesetting
TRB8985
TL;DR Summary
Clarification on subscripts involving axes and whether they should be italicized.
Good afternoon,

I have a question about italicizing certain subscripts. Say we have the following kinematic equation:
$$ y_{i} = y_{f} + v_{i_y}t + \dfrac{1}{2}a_{y}t^2$$ Where the ##i## and ##f## subscripts are in reference to initial and final displacements, and the ##y## subscript is in reference to an acceleration along the y-axis.

In the sources I've seen from NIST, IUPAC, and others##^{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}##, the general standard seems to be that any italicized letter is a variable. Thus, in the case above, ##i## and ##f## would not be italicized, as they represent static values of initial and final displacements. My question concerns ##y##.

In this situation, the y-axis (in whichever direction we have chosen it to be), does not change. Furthermore, the vertical acceleration in this simple example does not change, either. (9.80 m/s²)

Thus, I'm under the impression that the subscript ##y## would be upright as well. However, at the bottom of the first page in the typefaces document from NIST, I can see they're italicizing the z-coordinate in ##\omega_{z}##. It's not entirely clear if this coordinate is italicized due to the value of ##\omega## changing as one moves along the z-axis, or if this references the z-axis itself. Hence, my confusion.

Is anyone familiar with such an example and know the correct way in which this should be expressed? Thanks!##^{[1]}## Hughes, K. 2016 May 4. To italicise or not to italicize. Brushing Up Science. https://brushingupscience.com/2016/05/04/to-italicise-or-not-to-italicise/

##^{[2]}## Vrijmoet, E. 2017 May 1. Eliot's LaTeX Notes for Science Writing. Georgia State University. http://astro.gsu.edu/~vrijmoet/latexnotes.html

##^{[3]}## Boffin. 2011 Oct 30. Should subscripts in math mode be upright? Stack Exchange. https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/33120/should-subscripts-in-math-mode-be-upright

##^{[4]}## Beccari, Claudio. 1997. Typesettings mathematics for science and technology according to IOS 31/XI. TUGboat. 18(1). https://tug.org/tugboat/tb18-1/tb54becc.pdf

##^{[5]}## Keramati, H. 2020 July 7. When to italicize in a math expression? LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-italicize-math-expression-hamed-keramati/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you even need to care whether single letter subscripts are italicized or not? For subscripts of more than one letter, I will generally wrap them using \mathrm{} because it looks better, like ##\omega_\mathrm{max}##. But for one letter subscripts, will anyone even care? I believe the acceptance of your paper in a journal will not be affected if you have italicized a subscript that you shouldn't have. Every journal has typesetters, who will format those little things before publication if the paper is accepted.

Wrichik Basu said:
Do you even need to care whether single letter subscripts are italicized or not?
Probably not, but personally, I think it's worth the effort to develop good typefacing habits on these things. I can understand if others don't, though.

Wrichik Basu said:
I believe the acceptance of your paper in a journal will not be affected if you have italicized a subscript that you shouldn't have. Every journal has typesetters, who will format those little things before publication if the paper is accepted.
My mistake for not mentioning anything about this in my original post - it's not actually for a journal. More of a public project. I don't like the idea of communicating bad notation publicly and perpetuating something incorrect. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
It is good to know the popular standards, but you should always define such things in your document if they mean something significant. And if you are publishing somewhere, know their particular standards.

Likes Orodruin
TRB8985 said:
I have a question about italicizing certain subscripts. Say we have the following kinematic equation:
$$ y_{i} = y_{f} + v_{i_y}t + \dfrac{1}{2}a_{y}t^2$$ Where the ##i## and ##f## subscripts are in reference to initial and final displacements, and the ##y## subscript is in reference to an acceleration along the y-axis.
I'm of little help with your italics question, but I did notice that you have ##y_{i}## and ##y_{f}## backwards in your equation. :wink:

• Informative
Likes robphy, gmax137 and Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
I'm of little help with your italics question, but I did notice that you have ##y_{i}## and ##y_{f}## backwards in your equation. :wink:
That should be ##y_{\rm i}## and ##y_{\rm f}##.

What is the standard font size for subscripts in scientific documents?

In scientific documents, subscripts are typically set in a smaller font size than the main text. The standard size is usually about 60-70% of the main font size. This reduction in size helps maintain hierarchy and readability without distracting from the main text.

Should subscripts be italicized in scientific typesetting?

Whether subscripts should be italicized depends on their context. For mathematical variables and constants, subscripts are usually italicized to match the style of the main variable. However, for descriptive subscripts, such as chemical formulas or labeling in figures, they are not italicized and are instead set in roman (upright) type to differentiate them from mathematical variables.

How are subscripts aligned vertically in professional typesetting?

In professional typesetting, subscripts are typically aligned at the baseline of the text, with a consistent vertical position relative to the characters they accompany. This alignment ensures clarity and uniformity across the text. Proper typesetting software or tools like LaTeX handle this alignment automatically.

Is there a difference in typesetting subscripts between different scientific fields?

Yes, typesetting standards for subscripts can vary slightly between different scientific fields. For example, in chemistry, subscripts are used extensively in chemical formulas and are generally set in roman type to denote quantity rather than mathematical variables. In contrast, in mathematics and physics, subscripts often represent variables or indices and are typically italicized if they are alphanumeric.

What are the best practices for typesetting subscripts in equations and formulas?

Best practices for typesetting subscripts in equations and formulas include using a consistent style throughout the document, ensuring that the subscript size is legible yet distinct from the main text, and maintaining proper vertical alignment. It's also important to differentiate stylistically between variable subscripts and descriptive or textual subscripts, using italic or roman types accordingly. Using a professional typesetting system like LaTeX can help maintain these standards automatically.