Brute force quantization..

by lokofer
Tags: brute force, quantization
Share this thread:
lokofer
Aug25-06, 10:23 AM
P: 108
Let's suppose we have the "Equation of motions" for a particle:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)=0 [/tex] my question is if exsit a "direct" method to apply quantization rules..for example simply stating that:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)| \psi (x) >=0 [/tex] or something similar.

- I'm not talking about the usual method (you use the Hamiltonian operator to get the Wave function) but a method to "Quantize" everything without using Hamiltonians or Lagrangians only with the equation of motion and similar...thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Epicurus
Aug30-06, 09:10 PM
P: 76
The Hellman-feynman theorem deals with the quantum mechanics of forces, but no, there is no procedure which involves quantised forces.
Careful
Sep5-06, 12:12 PM
P: 1,667
Quote Quote by Epicurus
The Hellman-feynman theorem deals with the quantum mechanics of forces, but no, there is no procedure which involves quantised forces.
Well, I don't know about that theorem, but I was once thinking about quantum mechanics as a probability fluidum (the Madelung interpretation), something I never published since I cannot believe it has not been done yet. In this case, let [tex] R^2 [/tex] be the ``mass´´ density and [tex] \partial_{\mu} S [/tex] be the integrable fluid velocity field. Then, the traditional navier stokes equation is:
[tex] R^2 \partial_t \partial_{\alpha}S + R^2 \partial_{\beta} S \partial_{\beta} \left( \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = \frac{R^2}{m} F_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha} p + \partial^{\beta} T_{\beta \alpha} [/tex] and the usual continuity equation
[tex] \partial_t R^2 + \partial^{\alpha} \left( R^2 \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = 0 [/tex]
Now, let the pressure [tex] p = - \frac{1}{2m^2} \left( R \partial_{\beta} \partial^{\beta }R - \frac{1}{3} \partial_{\beta} R \partial^{\beta} R \right) [/tex] and the stress tensor
[tex] T_{\alpha \beta} = - \frac{1}{m^2} \left( \partial_{\alpha}R \partial_{\beta} R - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\gamma} R \partial^{\gamma} R \right) [/tex] then it is easy to prove that
with [tex] F_{\alpha} = - \partial_{\alpha} V [/tex], the Navier Stokes equation gives rise to the Hamilton Jacobi equation of Bohmian mechanics. Hence, this provides a general scheme for quantization of particles in general force fields. If you definetly know this has not been done yet, give me a sign and I will post the ``paper'' on the arxiv.

It seems to me you cannot quantize general force fields (in the case of instantaneous action at a distance, there are no travelling waves, hence no particles), only those which can be derived from a (eventually distributional) field theory seem to be meaningful.

Careful

Register to reply