How to Solve Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov Equations for Neutron Stars?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a good reference for solving the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov equations for neutron stars. The participants discuss the challenges of finding appropriate resources, such as books, and consider using the Fermi gas model for the equation of state. One suggestion is the book "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars" by Shapiro and Teukolsky, but the person is trying to avoid buying books due to the cost. They mention attempting to model a white dwarf, but struggle with finding a starting pressure and determining if uniform density can be assumed. They also question if the EoS can provide the central pressure with a given value of density.
Karliski
Does anyone know of a good reference regarding solving the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov equations for neutron stars? Most things I find are either too elementary and others skip multiple steps. I think the EoS to use should be that of a Fermi gas model, but I am not sure.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars, by Shapiro and Teukolsky?

Hey, not yet. I am trying to avoid buying a book at the moment because getting them to South Africa is a bit expensive.

I decided to 1st try and model a white dwarf. My problem is that I can't find a good starting pressure to use. Also, can I assume uniform density for a white dwarf? Does the EoS (polytrope) give me central pressure when a value of rho is inserted into it?

Thanks,
Karl

1. What is a neutron star simulation?

A neutron star simulation is a computerized model of a neutron star, which is a highly dense and compact stellar object formed from the remnants of a supernova explosion. The simulation uses mathematical equations and physics principles to replicate the behavior and properties of a real neutron star.

2. Why do scientists study neutron star simulations?

Scientists study neutron star simulations to better understand the physical processes that occur within these extreme objects. These simulations can provide insights into the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as extremely high densities and strong gravitational fields. They also help in testing and refining theories of nuclear physics and astrophysics.

3. How are neutron star simulations created?

Neutron star simulations are created using supercomputers and sophisticated software that can solve complex equations and simulate the behavior of matter at extreme conditions. The simulations are based on theoretical models and observations of real neutron stars, and they are constantly refined and improved as new data and theories become available.

4. What can we learn from neutron star simulations?

Neutron star simulations can provide insights into a wide range of physical phenomena, such as the behavior of matter at extreme densities, the formation of neutron stars and their evolution, the production of gravitational waves, and the emission of high-energy radiation. They can also help in understanding the role of neutron stars in the universe, including their contribution to the production of heavy elements and their role in the evolution of galaxies.

5. Are there any practical applications of neutron star simulations?

Neutron star simulations have practical applications in various fields, such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and gravitational wave astronomy. They can also potentially aid in the development of new technologies, such as advanced propulsion systems and high-energy particle accelerators. Additionally, studying neutron star simulations can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of neutron stars, which are important objects for navigation in space.