How to prove trace(A.A*) is positive

• Thread starter devoured_elysium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving that the trace of A.A* is positive, and considers how to handle the imaginary part of it. It is mentioned that the diagonal entries of AA* are real, and there is no way to compare complex numbers in terms of positivity or negativity. The (i,j)-th entry and (i,i)-th entry of AA* are also considered. It is noted that the trace of AA* can be zero, so it would be more accurate to say that it is nonnegative. The idea of relating the singular values of AA* to its trace being positive is mentioned, but it is noted that it may not be an easy method. Finally, the definition of A* is brought up.
devoured_elysium
Hello

I'd like to know how to prove that the trace of A.A* is positive.
I don't really know how to handle the imaginary part of it. If A has any complex number in it, is it possible to get traces like 10-2i? If yes, do I consider it as a positive number or negative?:zzz:

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the diagonal entries of AA* are real. You can't really compare two compex numbers like that as there is no order on C.

Now, what does the (i,j)-th entry of AA* look like? What about the (i,i)-th entry?

(Side note: tr(AA*) isn't always positive - it can be zero. So a better thing would be to say that it's nonnegative.)

devoured_elysium said:
I'd like to know how to prove that the trace of A.A* is positive.

My sketchy knowledge about linear algebra tells me that you would have to relate the nature of the singular values of AA* to its trace being positive.

That would not be a very easy way of doing this question. The trace of (AA*) is

[tex] \sum_{i,j} A_{ij}(A^*)_{ji}[/tex]

What is the definition of A*?

Ah yes, thank you for the note.

1. How do you define trace(A.A*)?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. In the case of A.A*, the matrix A* is the conjugate transpose of A, meaning that its columns become rows and its complex elements are replaced with their complex conjugates.

2. Why is it important to prove that trace(A.A*) is positive?

Trace(A.A*) is a measure of the magnitude of a matrix and it is often used in various mathematical and scientific applications. Proving that it is positive is important because it ensures that the matrix has a non-zero magnitude and is therefore invertible.

3. How can you prove that trace(A.A*) is positive?

To prove that trace(A.A*) is positive, we can use the properties of matrix multiplication and the fact that the product of a matrix and its conjugate transpose is always a Hermitian matrix. We can then show that the eigenvalues of A.A* are all positive, which implies that the trace, being the sum of the eigenvalues, is also positive.

4. Can trace(A.A*) be negative or zero?

Yes, trace(A.A*) can be negative or zero if the matrix A is non-invertible or has a zero magnitude. In these cases, the eigenvalues of A.A* will be negative or zero, resulting in a negative or zero trace.

5. What are the applications of trace(A.A*) being positive?

Trace(A.A*) being positive has various applications in linear algebra, physics, and engineering. It is used in determining the stability of a system, calculating the energy of a quantum system, and in solving systems of linear equations. It is also a key component in the proof of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.