Optimizing MCP Position Resolution: Latest Research and References"

In summary, a person is looking for the best value for a micro channel plate position resolution, preferably with a reference. They have found papers showing 50 microns but are wondering if there are any experiments that have gone below that value. They also ask if there are detectors better than MCP in terms of position resolution, specifically for detecting electrons and ions with energies between 1keV and 1MeV. They are open to references for higher energies. The response suggests that at higher energies, silicon detectors are better with a typical resolution of 10 micrometers and the possibility for even better resolution. Additionally, the responder asks for more information about the particles and the desired direction of detection, as well as the budget and area the person is
BillKet
Hello! I am doing some calculations and I would like to use the best value for a micro channel plate (position sensitive) position resolution to date. I don't care too much about the details, but I don't want to use too small of a value and of course I'd like to give a reference for this value. I found papers showing 50 microns. I also saw claims below that, but not an actual paper showing it experimentally. Does anyone know of an experiment going below 50 microns? Also, are there detectors better than MCP in terms of position resolution? Just to clarify, I am interested in electrons/ions detection (in my case the energies are between 1keV and 1MeV, but I am fine with references for higher energies, too). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
At higher energies, silicon detectors are better (~10 micrometers are typical, better is possible). They might still respond to low energy particles.

How are your particles arriving at the detector and what direction do you need to know about? There might be some nice geometric ways to improve the effective resolution.

Also, what's the area and budget you work with?

1. What is MCP position resolution and why is it important in scientific research?

MCP (Microchannel Plate) position resolution refers to the ability to accurately determine the location of an event or particle on the surface of a detector. This is crucial in scientific research as it allows for precise measurements and analysis of data, leading to more accurate and reliable results.

2. What are the latest advancements in optimizing MCP position resolution?

Recent research has focused on improving the design and fabrication of MCP detectors, as well as developing new signal processing techniques and algorithms. Additionally, there have been studies on using different materials and coatings for the MCP surface to enhance its performance.

3. How does the size and shape of the MCP pores affect position resolution?

The size and shape of the MCP pores have a significant impact on position resolution. Smaller pore sizes can improve resolution by reducing the spread of the electron cloud, while non-circular pores can cause distortions in the image and decrease resolution.

4. Can the position resolution of MCP detectors be improved beyond current capabilities?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this area, and it is possible to further improve the position resolution of MCP detectors. However, it is also important to consider other factors such as cost and practicality when implementing these advancements.

5. What are some recommended references for learning more about optimizing MCP position resolution?

Some recommended references include scientific journals and papers on the topic, as well as conference proceedings and presentations. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field and attend workshops or seminars on MCP detectors and position resolution optimization.