Cell Functions: Answers to ER, Lysosome & Movement Qs

• Thread starter SCGirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the cell components that are not directly involved in synthesis or secretion are lysosomes. They are responsible for breakdown rather than synthesis or secretion. As for the structural filament most actively involved in movement of molecules and organelles within the cell, all three (intermediate filament, microfilament, and microtubules) participate, but microtubules have a more important role in transport. The cell's cytoskeleton, made up of these filaments, plays a crucial role in maintaining the cell's structure and function.
SCGirl
Hi, I am having trouble answering these 2 questions. I have already searched my book.

First, which of the following cell components is not directly involved in synthesis or secretion?
Smooth ER, Golgi Apparatus, Rough ER, or lysosome.
According to my book (Campbell and Reece) they all seem to be involved in those processes.

Second, The structural filament most actively involved in movement of molecules and organelles within the cell is the:
intermediate filament, microfilament, microtubules, or all participate equally.
I am unsure about this one because my book implies that all participate, but it does not imply that participation is equal.

Please help I have my midterm this week and I want to be ready. Thanks in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
Lysosomes aren't involved in synthesis or secretion...

They cause breakdown...

Don't know about the second question...

The intermediate filaments and microfilaments have more of a role like a "skeleton" of the cell, giving it strength and keeping things in place. The microtubules have a more important role in the transport of molecules and organelles.

here is a nice short overview:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/Cytoskeleton.html

1. What is the function of the endoplasmic reticulum (ER)?

The endoplasmic reticulum is responsible for protein synthesis, lipid metabolism, and detoxification of drugs and poisons in the cell.

2. How does the lysosome function in the cell?

Lysosomes contain enzymes that break down and recycle cellular waste and foreign materials, playing a crucial role in maintaining cellular homeostasis.

3. What is the importance of movement in cells?

Movement is essential for various cellular processes such as cell division, transportation of molecules, and response to stimuli.

4. How do substances move in and out of cells?

Substances can move in and out of cells through various mechanisms such as diffusion, osmosis, and active transport.

5. How do the ER and lysosome work together in the cell?

The ER produces proteins and lipids that are then transported to the lysosome for modification and packaging. The lysosome then releases these substances to be used elsewhere in the cell or exported outside of the cell.