Computational problems in Fluids and Fields

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with researching an interesting problem related to fluids and fields that can be solved using computational methods. They are recommended to use Google and given links to helpful websites such as Wikipedia, CFD-Online, and EFluids. One person expresses regret for not knowing about these sites earlier and the other clarifies their gender.
*becks*
Hi there - I'm new to the forum...

I need help! I have to research an interesting problem in the topic of fluids and fields which can be solved/investigated through Computational methods. To do this we're supposed to use google - but it's just not coming up with anything.

Any suggestions? We need to come up with something, and the equations/info that could be used to potentially solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i wish i knew about these sites when i had the same project as he has :)

Thanks so much for those links - they're great.

eaboujaoudeh - I'm a she. Becks being short for Rebecca.

1. What is computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and why is it important?

Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical analysis and algorithms to solve and analyze problems involving the flow of fluids. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to simulate and understand complex fluid flow phenomena, which can then be used to design and optimize various systems and processes, such as aircraft, automobiles, and power plants.

2. What are some common applications of computational fluid dynamics?

Some common applications of computational fluid dynamics include aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, heat transfer, and combustion analysis. It is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and environmental engineering.

3. What are the main challenges in solving computational fluid dynamics problems?

The main challenges in solving computational fluid dynamics problems include accurately modeling the complex physics of fluid flow, ensuring numerical stability and convergence, and dealing with large computational grids and high computational costs.

4. How does the accuracy of a CFD simulation depend on the grid resolution?

The accuracy of a CFD simulation is highly dependent on the grid resolution. A finer grid can capture more details of the flow, resulting in a more accurate simulation. However, increasing the grid resolution also increases the computational cost, so a balance must be struck between accuracy and computational efficiency.

5. How does the choice of turbulence model affect the results of a CFD simulation?

The choice of turbulence model can significantly affect the results of a CFD simulation. Turbulence models are used to represent the effects of small-scale turbulent flow on the larger-scale flow behavior. Different models have different levels of complexity and accuracy, so it is important to carefully select a model that is appropriate for the specific flow problem being studied.