Chimps now hunting with spears

by 0TheSwerve0
Tags: chimps, hunting, spears
Share this thread:
0TheSwerve0
Feb22-07, 01:35 PM
P: 405
Story on yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070222/...mps_hunting_dc

Note: it's only the females doing this. Any implications for our human hunter-gatherer model?
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Decoding ethnic labels
Local education politics 'far from dead'
First grade reading suffers in segregated schools
Simfish
Feb22-07, 03:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 828
Holy Crap

This Is Awesome

Now - could humans teach chimps to use their weapons? Think of it - chimpanzee or dolphin guerilla fighters. ;-)
Schrodinger's Dog
Feb22-07, 04:06 PM
P: 1,142
Quote Quote by 0TheSwerve0 View Post

Note: it's only the females doing this. Any implications for our human hunter-gatherer model?
If you think about it's not that much different from using twigs to dislodge grubs, it's a bigger stick and a bigger animal.

When they start using bows and arrows give me a shout

None the less a testament to primate ingenuity.

ray b
Feb22-07, 09:44 PM
P: 428
Chimps now hunting with spears

uplift wars by brin comming true
moe darklight
Feb22-07, 09:56 PM
P: 411
I don't know... I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, the more we study chimps, the more we seem to find surprising intelligence in them.

But I wouldn't take it from Yahoo news (or any news paper for that matter) until i read some official research... the media tends to, not lie... exaggerate science stories.

EDIT: p.s: this is unrelated, but there was an article in a recent Discover mag. that talked a little about how the media exaggerates science stories. it was the case of scientists who found some way to bend light around an object (I don't remember very well the details).
the media jumped on it right away, labeling it an "invisibility cloak," speculating armies being able to make entire buildings invisible using this technology... the actual device is huge, and is able to bend light only around a tiny piece of matter, making it "invisible." (I'm sure someone on this forum knows what I'm talking about better than I do :) ) ... it was a pretty funny article. in the interview they talked about how TV stations made them wear white cloaks and protective glasses to make them look more sciencey.
DaveC426913
Feb22-07, 10:39 PM
P: 15,319
Yeah, they weren't throwing them, they were stabbing with them, not quite a spear - more like a pointed stick.

As 'Ding's Dog points out, chimps use sticks to dislodge grubs and poke in termite hills.
baywax
Feb23-07, 12:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,215

Its not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them (which has been documented from observations of chimp behavior). Straw/spear/eat. Pretty obvious progression.
mosassam
Mar15-07, 09:11 PM
P: 192
Quote Quote by baywax View Post
Its not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them (which has been documented from observations of chimp behavior). Straw/spear/eat. Pretty obvious progression.
By the same token, it's hardly a vast leap from big pokey stick, to throwing big pokey stick. (The space shuttle follows shortly after this! )
baywax
Mar16-07, 01:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Quote Quote by mosassam View Post
By the same token, it's hardly a vast leap from big pokey stick, to throwing big pokey stick. (The space shuttle follows shortly after this! )
So that's how they do it! They tie the space shuttle to a stick and throw it out of the atmosphere! Cool
mosassam
Mar16-07, 03:15 PM
P: 192
As OThe SwerveO points out, it's interesting that only female chimpanzees use the big pokey stick for practical purposes. I believe this situation will truly reflect early human societies when the males use the big pokey stick on each other.
tehno
Mar22-07, 02:00 PM
P: 363

Are you sure Britney is with them?
J77
Mar26-07, 05:44 AM
P: 1,157
The OP link didn't work for me... youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt5cx_nc3Jw
whatta
Mar26-07, 06:14 AM
P: 224
yep yahoo link is dead. in my locked thread there's another link with full video.
raolduke
Mar26-07, 09:26 AM
P: 166
What does this mean then? This means nothing. We have evovled from this exact same place as they are doing now and we would never let them have a chance to send us back there.
whatta
Mar26-07, 09:56 AM
P: 224
copy & paste this link in your address bar

Register to reply