by dextercioby
Tags: None
Share this thread:
dextercioby
Jan12-04, 08:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Where does Born-Infeld theory emerge from?How can one obtain/derive its lagrangian action?And most importantly,what does it describe??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
jeff
Jan12-04, 10:58 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 660
Originally posted by dextercioby
Where does Born-Infeld theory emerge from?
Where does your question "emerge from"?
dextercioby
Jan13-04, 03:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I've been in Dubna last year for about a month.I had alist of about 7 books on superstrings,and, the only one in Enlglish i found at the "Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics" was the one written by Lars Brink and Marc Henneaux "Principles of string theory".Havind just read Dirac's book"Principles of QM",i thought "It can't be that difficult".I opened the book and never got beyond the first page where lied only one formula:the Born-Infeld action.Obviously,having no idea abot that thing,i found no point in reading the next pages.
Satisfied with my answer?

jeff
Jan13-04, 07:02 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 660
Another question(s)

The born-infeld action governs the dynamics of higher dimensional objects called D-branes. Over the last decade they've helped reveal a great deal about nonperturbative aspects of string theory and in particular that what appeared to be many different theories are actually different backgrounds of a unique theory called M-theory. But to understand D-branes one must first learn the basics of string theory since D-branes first appear, in connection with a symmetry known as T-duality, as surfaces on which open strings end.
dextercioby
Jan16-04, 05:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks for setting things straight,man.

Register to reply